Sneaky Release of Nobunaga's Ambition

Started by Jarhead0331, August 27, 2014, 06:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgb

Ian C

Quote from: AndyBrown on September 06, 2015, 08:27:50 PM
Try creating a shortcut direct to the NOBU14PK.exe instead of starting the game through the launcher.  That should stop the graphics settings reset.

Thanks Andy, but it doesn't work for me. Good suggestion though. Running the game and launcher on 'Run As Admin' also fails to resolve the issue.
Maybe one of the hardcore coder guys here might have some insight?

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Ian C on September 07, 2015, 06:38:49 AM
Try creating a shortcut direct to the NOBU14PK.exe instead of starting the game through the launcher.  That should stop the graphics settings reset.

Thanks Andy, but it doesn't work for me. Good suggestion though. Running the game and launcher on 'Run As Admin' also fails to resolve the issue.

From what I have seen in the Steam forums, seems like this issue goes back to the original versions and never was fixed...so thinking likely not away for people besides the developer to correct.

Ian C

undercovergeek

If I had a 50 note burning in my pocket but hadn't finished or even scratched the surface of shogun 2 is this still a good choice? Metal gear 5 is the other choice

Grim.Reaper

I just purchased it myself this morning but unsure if I will like.  I remembered that steam gives refunds for under 2 hours played, so I thought what the heck and gave it a try.  Since totally different games, hard to compare mg to this, but personally think mg will be the better long term game for me, but who knows.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 07, 2015, 09:51:33 AM
I just purchased it myself this morning but unsure if I will like.  I remembered that steam gives refunds for under 2 hours played, so I thought what the heck and gave it a try.  Since totally different games, hard to compare mg to this, but personally think mg will be the better long term game for me, but who knows.

What does it do that shogun doesn't?

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: undercovergeek on September 07, 2015, 09:55:29 AM

No idea, only have played the tutorial so far:). From what I have read people seem to indicate strategy portion much better while the tactical battles not as detailed.  I am sure some of our experts can provide more detailed thoughts.

Nefaro

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 07, 2015, 06:56:38 AM
Quote from: Ian C on September 07, 2015, 06:38:49 AM

From what I have seen in the Steam forums, seems like this issue goes back to the original versions and never was fixed...so thinking likely not away for people besides the developer to correct.

I wonder if it's Windows, AV, or hardware related. 

I've not had that problem on my notebook PC at all.  I adjusted the settings in-game and they've remained that way ever since.  While that doesn't help those who do, it's obviously something caused by the environment.

Nefaro

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 07, 2015, 09:57:42 AM

No idea, only have played the tutorial so far:). From what I have read people seem to indicate strategy portion much better while the tactical battles not as detailed.  I am sure some of our experts can provide more detailed thoughts.

It's just a different style of grand strategy than TW.  TW seems to focus more on warfare, and upgrading mostly warfare-oriented buildings and troops. 

NA is more about delegating orders to your cadre of subordinate generals, to make a wider variety of economic & military improvements to your castles/territories.  In that sense, it has a slight hint of Roster Management, although there are only a few ways to acquire new ones.  They do improve with use & experience.  They don't have dynamic interactions with each other, as in CK2, but they do have loyalty ratings towards you and if their ideals differ from yours, they may betray you or defect.

The battles are very hands-off by default, and mostly focused on supplying them and maneuvering them on the strategic level point-to-point map routes.  So don't expect fancy TW-style tactical battles.  This is more "big picture".  Closer to just TW's turn-based strategic layer, but with a bigger emphasis on supplies and general ratings & abilities.

spelk

Oh wow, I see Rob Zacny is freelancing for RPS now and he's a bit down on NA.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/07/nobunagas-ambition-review-pc

I thought he'd be all over it like a rash. I was hoping we'd have a Three Moves Ahead on the game.

tgb

Quote from: spelk on September 07, 2015, 03:46:59 PM
Oh wow, I see Rob Zacny is freelancing for RPS now and he's a bit down on NA.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/07/nobunagas-ambition-review-pc

I thought he'd be all over it like a rash. I was hoping we'd have a Three Moves Ahead on the game.

I read that earlier today and dismissed it as typical RPS nonsense.  I hadn't noticed that it was written by Zacny.  Disappointing.  But that doesn't necessarily mean TMA won't do a show on it if they can come up with one or two others who like it.

jomni

Real historical Japanese generals, people management, generals have special skills / tactics in battle, historical events, historical castles, multiple castles in one province, you can build your own castles, you can rally support from local minor samurai (very crucial), enact national policies based on your ideology.

Resources to conduct everything are very limited and strategy and timing is key.  True, battle is just a small part but some illustrious daimyo of the time would avoid battle as much as possible and do everything via politics.  The pace of military campaigns, (one per year unless your are big enough) is actually more historical than Total War since Shogun 2 has no actual logistics. In NA, every koku of rice is counted, whether you sell that for money or save it for a campaign, it all up to you.  Rice is only harvested once a year.

The others are correct in saying it's more like EU or CK.  But if you're familiar with classic Koei grand strategy games, then it's the familiar formula with more modern (Paradox-style) way of doing things in some aspects.

As a fan of anything on Sengoku era, they tick all the boxes right. Maybe not the battles. But it is now more involved than the previous Chinese version.  That RPS review says what the game has done right and it is a true representation of the era.  But I guess Westerners may not appreciate that.   If you watch a lot of the Sengoku TV dramas, read a lot of Samurai books, you'll appreciate it more.

Note on the review:  It is easy to see the loyalty of your men in one spot.  There's an info screen that lists all your officers. If you click the gift action (if you have an item), you will see them sorted by loyalty.  It is easy to see disloyal enemy generals in the coercion action as they are all highlighted.  You can actually delegate tasks to your castles if you want to let the governors take care of development.  Or you can also make a quick command to all your castles to develop just one aspect.

jomni

The review is true about the art. Making these larger than life characters handsome.

This is Oda Nobunaga:

And not this one.