Sneaky Release of Nobunaga's Ambition

Started by Jarhead0331, August 27, 2014, 06:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Holy Moly!  Being big has it's downsides. 

When one of my vassals decided to join my clan in the East, the Date clan probably was threatened and formed a coalition.

Several clans attacked me simultaneously with targets from all sides of my empire.  The powerful members are Date, Matsudaira and Nagao. Literally hundreds of thousands of soldiers marched to battle for several months. I survived and did not lose a single castle.  I even captured one myself.  But I was at the edge of my seat all the while.  Keeping friends near the Anti-Takeda coalition members helps.  I was able to call some of them to backstab and foil coalition attacks. Trusty Hojo is again one of them.  I must make more friends to deal with this coalition if they decide to attack again in the future.

Nefaro

It's good to hear that the AI can & will use the Coalition mechanics against an overbearing player faction.  O0

Jarhead0331

I really need to get into this game. It sounds great.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mikeck

It is really quite good. The management of your properties as well as your officers is excellent and I wish the system would be used for a western European game. I couldn't care less about Japanese history but I find myself very much involved in this game and caring about where my officers go and who they marry. The use of a good officer to covertly kure an enemy officer away or convince him to not march on me in war is very satisfying. It's just a well-done game
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

jomni

Quote from: mikeck on October 22, 2015, 11:57:07 AM
It is really quite good. The management of your properties as well as your officers is excellent and I wish the system would be used for a western European game. I couldn't care less about Japanese history but I find myself very much involved in this game and caring about where my officers go and who they marry. The use of a good officer to covertly kure an enemy officer away or convince him to not march on me in war is very satisfying. It's just a well-done game

Well Crusader Kings may fit the bill.  But Nobunaga is more enjoyable for me.  Right amount of details on the right places.  And we get to see results more quickly than CK2.
The diplomacy kinda works well too despite it's simplicity.

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on October 22, 2015, 05:02:05 PM

Well Crusader Kings may fit the bill.  But Nobunaga is more enjoyable for me.  Right amount of details on the right places.  And we get to see results more quickly than CK2.

I really wish Paradox would've given Sengoku the full CK2 treatment, with all the character and event goodies. 

Unlike Mike, I think the Sengoku period is fascinating.  As with most long & cutthroat feudal wars.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Nefaro on October 22, 2015, 05:07:50 PM
Quote from: jomni on October 22, 2015, 05:02:05 PM

I really wish Paradox would've given Sengoku the full CK2 treatment, with all the character and event goodies. 

Unlike Mike, I think the Sengoku period is fascinating.  As with most long & cutthroat feudal wars.

Same request with the paradox Rome game.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Skoop

So from the sound of it, the strategy game seems great.  How involved are the tactical battles ?  It seems more hands off than total war, can you control your character like an fps ?  I'll probably get this since you guys are pretty into it.  I'm not into feudal japan, but I'm into unique gameplay...so this may be worth while.

jomni

Quote from: Skoop on October 22, 2015, 08:09:50 PM
So from the sound of it, the strategy game seems great.  How involved are the tactical battles ?  It seems more hands off than total war, can you control your character like an fps ?  I'll probably get this since you guys pretty into it.  I'm not into feudal japan, but I'm into unique gameplay...so this may be worth while.

jomni

In a nutshell...

Its a strategy game.  You get blocks of units led by our generals.   Then you move those blocks to engage the enemy blocks.   You can order either to keep standoff distance and shoot missile weapons or engage melee. Each general can trigger their special  abilities to improve combat performance of friendly and enemy units etc. So selecting who to send to battle and abilities count. And generals equipped with guns and horses can use special musket volley and cavalry charge actions respectively.    The thing is, when you get simultaneous battles across the strategic map, you can only direct one battle as all of the other battles are resolved in real time.  Sometimes, I just let the battle resolve itself.

Keys to winning a battle.
1) bringing the right generals with the right abilities.
2) timing on when you use the abilities.
3) maneuvering and flaking
4) eliminating the enemy main commander's unit (even if you are out numbered, getting rid of the main commander wins the day).
5) strength in numbers (this allows you to make mistakes in the first four points and still end up the victor)

Emphasis on point 4: works on you as well. Don't lose your main commander's unit.  Quite embarrassing to lose a battle generally going your way with many strong units when your main commander suddenly retreats because he was at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Mikeck's scheming strategy works well too. Best to increase discontent of enemy generals before a campaign so that you can ask them to stand back when you finally launch your campaign.  As with everything else, the AI will do it on your generals too.  This is a very common occurrence in the Sengoku era.

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 22, 2015, 06:03:22 PM

Quote from: Nef

Same request with the paradox Rome game.

Definitely!

I had hoped their big announcement was going to be a new EU Rome of that nature, but it ended up being the new HOI.

mikeck

I find the AI is quite good. It's not that it is crafty or anything...just that is acts reasonably and appropriately. Neighboring lords raise their armies when you raise yours even if you're not at war...just in case. Weaker nations in your line of conquest will ask about becoming vassals no matter how much they dispose you rather than fight a useless fight. Enemies will  Target your officers for covert action things like that
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

AchillesLastStand

Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence getting a free Steam weekend...........
Koei Tecmo Europe has announced that the Japanese grand strategy game Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence will be free on Steam this upcoming weekend, from 6pm GMT on Thursday, November 5 through to 9pm GMT on Sunday, November 8.

http://www.gamewatcher.com/news/2015-04-11-nobunaga-s-ambition-sphere-of-influence-getting-a-free-steam-weekend

amandachen

jomni

Quote from: jomni on October 22, 2015, 09:35:30 AM

Holy Moly!  Being big has it's downsides. 

When one of my vassals decided to join my clan in the East, the Date clan probably was threatened and formed a coalition.

Several clans attacked me simultaneously with targets from all sides of my empire.  The powerful members are Date, Matsudaira and Nagao. Literally hundreds of thousands of soldiers marched to battle for several months. I survived and did not lose a single castle.  I even captured one myself.  But I was at the edge of my seat all the while.  Keeping friends near the Anti-Takeda coalition members helps.  I was able to call some of them to backstab and foil coalition attacks. Trusty Hojo is again one of them.  I must make more friends to deal with this coalition if they decide to attack again in the future.

Finally got to play again since work on Sengoku Jidai is wrapping up.

After three years, the Anti-Takeda alliance dissolves.  In the east, I sent my autonomous region on the attack against the two Date clans and one of them is nearing its end. I think I captured 2 castles in the process. I was able to bring in two coalition members to my side via marriage which did most of the work against the Date.

There was a massive battle in Nagashino 50k vs 40k. Of course it did not end in disaster like in history.  I called for help from my long time ally Hojo to ensure victory against Matsudaira. I captured Nagashino castle in the process.

And I was able to eliminate the Nagao clan. Nagao Kagetora (the future Uesugi Kenshin) is the most fearsome general I have seen. He and some of his generals can defeat isolated armies even when outnumbered. I made sure I brought in a lot of troops to finish him once and for all. Though I have not seen the fate of Nagao Kagetora.  He wasn't captured by my side or maybe I released him by mistake. If he ends up joining another clan, then he'll continue to be a thorn by my side.

Who wants a full blown AAR so that we can see this to the end?