Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Town-class light cruiser HMS Sheffield in 1942.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

USS Key West (SSN-722) at Periscope Depth, RIMPAC 2004.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

TheCommandTent

^ That is just a cool picture.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

mirth

QuoteHMCS Rainbow, Canada's first move in the First World War - sent south protect a pair of British sloops against much larger German cruisers

mirth

QuoteU.S. Pacific Reserve Fleet, at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, Washington (USA), circa 23 April 1948. There are six aircraft carriers visible (front to back): USS Essex (CV-9), USS Ticonderoga (CV-14), USS Yorktown (CV-10), USS Lexington (CV-16), USS Bunker Hill (CV-17), and USS Bon Homme Richard (CV-31) (in the background). Three battleships and various cruisers are also visible.

mirth

Damage to the USS San Francisco after colliding with a seamount at 35kts in 2005.

mirth

Ships of Task Force 11 turn in unison, July 1942.

mirth

USS Enterprise (CV-6) tied up at NAS North Island, 1940.

mirth

USS Kearsarge (BB-5) the only USN battleship not named after a state.

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on August 14, 2014, 05:44:02 PM
Ships of Task Force 11 turn in unison, July 1942.

That's the maneuver that the German high Seas Fleet practiced and later used at Dogger Bank and/or Jutland. It allowed the German fleet to reverse course with an entire column of ships in a fraction of the time the Grand Fleet needed using it's follow-the-leader-in-a-big-half-circle doctrine.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: mirth on August 14, 2014, 05:52:33 PM
USS Kearsarge (BB-5) the only USN battleship not named after a state.

somewhat telling that we now name our SSBN's after states.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

WWI era French submarine transport Kanguroo

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

mirth

USS Ticonderoga (CV-14) Pearl Harbor, 1962

mirth