Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Amazing size. Good thing they only completed 6.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

and they only have 1 left.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

BanzaiCat

Where's that 1 operating from? And is it still in operational condition?

GDS_Starfury

IIRC its up north and its being used as a testbed.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

mirth

Dmitri Donskoy. IIRC it was the first of the class and is/was being used for testing the Bulava SLBM.

There were rumors that a couple of the other Typhoons would be refitted as SSGNs along the lines of the older Ohios, but the Russkies gave up on it as not cost effective. The Typhoons are old and it would take many rubles to modernize them.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: mirth on September 21, 2014, 04:30:47 PM
This is impressive

http://wtkr.com/2014/09/19/navy-marks-4000th-ballistic-missile-submarine-patrol/

"The current Ohio-class SSBNs carry the majority of deployed U.S. nuclear warheads allowing them to stabilize deterrent relationships and render surprise attacks inconceivable."

Probably not inconceivable. Still very cool. The world is safer with their patrols.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

GDS_Starfury

The Nimitz-class aircraft carriers USS George Washington (CVN 73), right, and USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) steam in formation at the conclusion of Valiant Shield 2014

eyebiter

mirth

USS MIDWAY (CV-41) arriving at Pearl Harbor in 1991.

GDS_Starfury

thats gotta be fresh from a refit cycle.

Staggerwing

Actually, Midway was retired the year after that picture. Now she's a museum ship somewhere.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

Star is all  :'( on the Tomcat, as am I, but the Intruder makes me  :'( moreso.

GDS_Starfury

There was an idea once to fit the Awg-9 to an Intruder and load it up with Phoenix's.

mirth

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 29, 2014, 01:08:18 PM
There was an idea once to fit the Awg-9 to an Intruder and load it up with Phoenix's.

Sounds like an update on the Missileer concept
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_F6D_Missileer