China Rising - A Victoria II w/ A House Divided AAR

Started by OJsDad, August 11, 2012, 06:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

Welcome to my attempt to write an AAR for Victoria II (V2) with the A House Divided (AHD) addon.  While I have played V2 a fair amount, I have just purchased and loaded AHD, therefore, you'll be following me through my first game with this addon.  Hopefully it is enjoyable for all of us.

Before I start wth the actual story, I thought I would start with the layout of the land, so to speak. 

First, for those of you who have played V2, but not AHD, there are a number of changes.  China is no longer a large single country.  It is a smaller country, with a number of Substates.  These substates are indepentant countries, but are owned by China.  They cannot be given their freedom.  These Substates are Guangxi, Manchuria, Mongolia, Qinghai, Xinjiang, Yunnan.  Per the manual, once China is Westerized, these substates should be annexed.  Also, China has two satillites, Korea and Tibet.

Second, unlike vanilla V2, you do not need to research a number of techs and have 40 prestige points to Westerize.  In fact, as an uncivilized country, you cannot research techs.  Instead, you have a set of Political reforms that will allow you to build up Civilization points.  This may actually make it easier to westerize, but we will see.  However, there is a downside to these reforms, as your population may not react well to these changes.  Once you westerize, you will receive some techs, based on the reforms you implemented.  If your in a Sphere of Influence of a Great Power, you will get some of there techs.

Why China.  A couple of reasons, first, I rememeber seeing a chart one time showing that in the early 1800's, China had the highest GDP of any country.  Second, after watching Niall Fergusons Civilization show, I would like to see what would happen if China had westerized and not turned in on itself.  I've played China a couple of times in V2 vanilla, so I'm excited to see how it plays with AHD.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

My name is Yinli.  Five months ago I was seventh in line to the Imperial Throne of China.  My brother,  Daoguang, was Emperor.  Between myself and the throne were our two brothers, Mianxing and Xi, Daoguang's three children, and Mianxings two children.  I never had any desire to sit on the throne.  In fact, I had left China five years earlier to go to school in the United States, which I did in Boston.  This was not a popular decision with my brothers, however, they finally decided this was something I wasn't going to give up on. 

While in Boston, I studied Business and dabbled in some science, engineering, political science, and history.  I also began to date an American girl named Rosemary Daley.  Her parents were less than thrilled that their youngest daughter, was dating a Chinaman.  In fact, it was very obvious when I arrived in Boston, and most of the other parts of the US that I had traveled to, that no one had seen someone from China.  However, upon learning that I was so close to the throne, most couldn't wait to get to know me better. 

Over the last couple of years though, Rose's father became a good friend.  I think there are a few reasons for this, in no particular order.  One, the more he tried to separate Rose and I, the more determined she was to see me.  Second, once he allowed his prejudices to not get in the way, he finally got to know the person in front of him.  And finally, neither of this other two children, both daughters, had married men that were the least bit interested in taking over the family business. 

Roses father owned a number of small businesses, and two rather larger ones.  He was both a shipbuilder and a steel mill owner.  It was after he got to know me and found out how much I was truly interested in how his businesses worked, that we really started to get along well. 

Seven months ago, I completed my schooling, and a few weeks later, Rose and I were married.   I had decided to stay in the United States and help run my father-in-laws businesses.  In fact, we were making plans to start a railroad.

None of my brothers were especially happy with this decision of mine.  Infact, my brother Daoguang, ordered me home.  It was with a heavy heart that I told him that I could not do that.  While I was away at school, he had always seemed very interested in what I was learning, both in and out of school.  Even though he never came straight out and said, I believe he wanted me to come back to China, and start teaching what I had learned. 

However, five months ago, while hosting a diner with my wife's family, we were interrupted with a loud knock at the door.  When I answered the door, was greeted by my brothers head of Board of Rites, Minister Qui.  Along with him were members of each of the other five boards and fifty-one members of the Imperial Guard.  To say I was shocked into speechlessness was an understatement.  The only reason I gained my voice as quickly as I did, was that I realized that they were bowing, and were awaiting my command to return from the bow.  I quickly invited the Board members into my home.  Not invited, but whom invited themselves, were three members of the Imperial Guard.  I was truly scared that my brother had not seen any humor in my refusal to return home, and had sent this group to drag me back.  However, nothing in my wildest dreams could prepare me for what I was told. 

Our uncle, Yonglin, had decided he could do a better job as Emperor, and had assassinated all three of my brothers and their children.  He had thought with me being out of the country, and not planning on returning, that by taking out the rest of the Imperial family, he would inherit the throne with not opposition.   However, he had initially missed my nephew, the crown prince.  By the time he had been tracked down, the Imperial Guard had was rallying to the defense.  There were not quick enough though to save my nephew.  It seems that a significant number of the Imperial Guard had forsaken their personnel oaths to my brother, and assisted my uncle in killing my family.

Minister Qui, who headed up what I had dubbed the Retrieval Group, had wanted to start our return home within a few days.  I, however, wasn't even sure I wanted to return.  I tried to get out of Qui why none of the other members of the family, while further down the line, could take the throne, and allow me to abstain.  Qui argued that it would appear that they had usurped be from the throne, and besides, none of the others were near as ready or capable as he, and the other Ministers, believed me to be. 

Rose said she would abide by whatever I decided.  This was no help at all at deciding what to do.  My mind new I had to return and take the throne, but my heart didn't want to give up  what I had started to build for a life here in Boston.  After eight long days of trying to decide what to do, it was my father-in-law who came to me and convinced me to return to China.  He told me he had no desire to see either Rose or I leave, but he believed it was God's plan for me to not only to return to China and become Emperor, but to lead China from a country that was quickly falling behind the leading nations of the world, but to make it one of the beacons of all that is good in the world.

Three days later, Rose, myself, and the Retrieval Group boarded one of my father-in-laws newest clippers, and set sail for Vera Cruz, Mexico.  From there, we would make our way over land to the port of Acapulco, Mexico, where we could find another ship to take us to China. 

Yesterday, at the age of 22, I was crowned Emperor of China.  Today, I start the incredible task of changing China's course from turing inward on itself and trying to ignore the world, to being a leader in that same world.  Today is January 1st, 1836. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Staggerwing

Wow! This could make for an interesting Alt-History story.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

OJsDad

1 Jan 1837

The first year of my reign has been very quiet.  We were able to balance the budget, which meant we are not able to put as much into education development as I would like.  Our research is much too slow.  In order to conduct any of the reforms that I wish, it will take at least a decade and a half.  We are training and recruiting as many clergy as we can to help with providing better education and to raise the literacy, but this will take years. 

There were two bright spots this first year.  A gold rush in Caozhou, which my ministers think will last another couple of years.  This will have some limited help to the treasury.

The other, is the announcement that Rose is pregnant with an heir to the throne.  This is good on both a personal level and as the Emperor.  My child is due sometime this summer.    The only thing that has me worried, is that Minister Qui is hearing rumbles of that discontent among the more conservative members of the nobility not being happy that I have chosen to not only maintain my marriage to Rose, but to not take another wife.  This will have to be watched very carefully.

Keunert

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

undercovergeek

TheCommandTent

I am looking forward to following this, keep up the great work!
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

OJsDad

Thanks guys.  This is proving to be quite a bit different than vanilla V2.  Normally by not, 1837, I would be at war with Korea with the goal of annexing them.  However, they are already a Satellite.  I would also look at going to war against Dai Nam.  However, with the changes to getting China westerized, I do not the prestige points, so I don't think there is a point in going and gaining a lot of infamy for little gain at this time, or perhaps attracting the attention of others that I don't want at this time.

With that being said, I had thought I would do at least a yearly update, however, since there is not much going on, I'll probably go for a couple of years before an update, or something significant happens. 

Thanks for your support, and I hope you all continue to enjoy!

Oh, and one more note, I'm no where near an expert of Chinese history, so no nitpicking. :)

OJsDad

1 Jan 1839

The last couple of years have been very quiet.  Trying to gain support for the reforms that I know we need to make is taking longer than I ever thought.  The recruitment and training of Clergy continues to be a big help in this matter, but it will take at least another 10 years at this rate before I can make any big move.

Last year, Rose gave not only me, but the Empire with a son.  Even though Kangxi shows the mixed features of his parents very different heritages, the people seemed to be genuinely overjoyed by the his birth.  I think this may be a result of what happened to the Emperor and other heirs.  However, I think what is even a bigger influence is Rose herself.  I'm not sure how she is doing it, but she has been winning the hearts of everyone she comes in contact with.  I think what has surprised everyone about this, is that she reaches out to everyone one, from the highest ranked nobles, to the poorest of the people. 

Diplomatically, the French, Russians, and Americans have been trying to gain favor in Guangxi, southern China.  So far, they seem to be working harder to keep the others from gaining any ground than actually making friends.  But I'm very happy with that.

We were able to lower the tax rates across the board by 1%.  This seems to of had no impact on our finances, as we continue to maintain a balance of between 600 and 800 Pounds.  We also lowered our military spending some, and placed the savings into Education.  It was not a great impact, but every little bit helps. 
Finally, the retraining of our bureaucrats has had a big payoff.  Even though their effectiveness is only around 16%, that is up at least three full points from when I took the throne.  This is having a positive impact on the treasury.  I'm really hoping this trend continues.

OJsDad

18 March 1839

Spain has managed to gain a diplomatic foot hold in Qinghai, raising Qinghai's view of Spain to cordial.  This is most unwelcomed news.

14 Oct 1839

Word reached us today that the British declared war on Siam, with the goal of helping Cambodia gain Siamese Cambodia.  It shames me that we could not help Siam, but I cannot risk bringing the British wrath down on China at this time.  While I know we outnumber the greatly, our military is nowhere near ready to take them on.  This race that I am running is a marathon, not a sprint.

1 Dec 1839

The US has managed to gain a cordial relationship with Yunnan.  Like with Spain's friendship with Qinghai, this is not welcomed at all, but there is little we can do.

28 Oct 1840

Our geologists have discovered a rich ore deposit in Wuchang.  The bad news is that it will be very difficult for us to extract.  However, we need the ore, and so some sacrifices will have to be made.

1 Jan 1841

Progress continues on trying to move China into the modern era.  As my father-in-law points out in a continuing correspondence, trying to change the direction of a country can by like trying to change a wife's mind.  If you try to do it to quickly, she'll blowup in your face, thus you must change her in small increments.

Progress is better than I may feel at times.  Literacy has grown from 5.5% to 6.0%.  This may not seem like a lot given how much effort we're put into expanding our education, but then you have to realize that our population has also grown almost 1.5 million people, or close to 3%.  Our research continues to grow, having moved to a value of 1.94 from a starting point of 1.75.

The best news is still in our retraining of our bureaucrats.  Our administrative effectiveness is now 20.8%.  This has a positive effect on both tax revenues and crime fighting.

Kangxi continues to grow in size.  He tries to carry himself as a crown princess, but his little sister, Lilly, does not make it easy, with her constantly wanting him to play with her.  Perhaps that puppy he got her will keep her distracted for a while. 

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

OJsDad

12 Oct 1841

Korea has increased it's opinion of Mexico to cordial, after a very determined effort by Mexico.  This is a situation we will have to keep an eye on.

15 Dec 1841

Mexico continues it's diplomatic push into Asia, now gaining a cordial relationship with Manchuria.

25 April 1842

The Americans have gotten Yunnan to raise its opinion of them to friendly.  It will not take the Americans much to place Yunnan in their Sphere of Influence.

19 July 1843

Quighai opinion of the US is now cordial.

5 Dec 1843

Manchura's is now friendly with Mexico.

17 Dec 1843

Korea and Mexico are now consider each other friends.

1 Jan 1844

I continue to gently guide China down the road of modernization.  It's slow, but each year I'm starting to feel better. 

Our literacy is upto 6.3% and we're getting about 2.10 research points a day.  The population has grown to 53.71 million strong.

The biggest area of concern is all of the areas of diplomatic encroachment into our puppet and satellite states.  Hopefully we do not lose our influence over them.

I had always thought that Rose was half joking when she said she wanted a large family.  She's now buttering me up for to start working on having another child, even though our fourth is just 11 months old. 

OJsDad

3 Feb 1844

Guangxi is now on cordial terms with the Americans

15 Dec 1845

The relationship between the United States and Qinghai are now friendly.

23 Oct 1846

The Americans and Guangxi are now on friendly terms

2 Apr 1847

Yunnan has now been included in the US's Sphere of Influence.  (Just a note, Yunnan is still listed as a substate.  I believe that means that they will be annexed by China when it becomes westernized).

8 May 1848

Today I was finally able to implement Land Reforms.  This will give more land ownership rights to farmers and the common man.  With this ownership by individuals, it is believed that production from the land will be greatly increased.  This step is also moves us closer to being westernized.

Our treasury continues to improve, and we're using these new funds to help improve our education.  These added funds, along with a continued recruitment and training of new clergy, has moved our literacy rate to 7% and allowing us to generate about 2.34 research points each day.

I am now the proud father of seven children,  three boys and four girls.  Rose has told me that she is quite content with stopping at this point and not have any more.  Very quietly, we've brought in a number of teachers from Britain and America.  I've very happy that my children seem to be embracing the ideas of moving China to a great nation of the world through westernization, especially by Kiangxi, my heir apparent.

jomni