Unternehmen Wacht am Rhein - an iPad Battle of the Bulge AAR

Started by Barthheart, January 06, 2013, 04:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

To see what the combat might result is, I just touch the down arrow on the combat box to see the possible results.
This will show you all the modifiers to the combat and the likely outcome.

Barthheart

To see what the combat modifers mean just touch the spot where they are shown and this handy table appears in the bottom left.
Cities, towns, woods and forests absorb hits, so you need to make lots of hits to actually kill something there.

Barthheart

This is a shot during the comabt it self. Each unit gets 1 shot per step. At this point you can see that the US 110 Inf has taken his shot and missed, while the 5 FJ has taken 1 shot and the 26 VG is currently shooting it's 3rd of 4 shots. The Germans have gotton 1 hit so far but it was absorbed by the forest. I eventually destroy the US unit and capture the area.

Barthheart

This is the result after my second attack, I destroyed the US Scout unit just north of St. Vith.

Barthheart

After my third surprise attack the Allies get their first activation. They move the CCB/1 Arm unit from Lullange to Longvilly. Then it's my activation again. You can see that the Allied move took 60 minutes. We'll trade activations unti the time reaches 18:00 or there are 2 passes in a row.

Barthheart

Time passage for each activation is a variable number based on this table. This is a shot from the embedded rule book. LOTS of info in here on how the game works. Very well written.
You can see as the days go by the activation time usage gets shorter and shorter, resulting in more activations per day. This will help the Allies toward the end of the scenario as they will have many more units to move/activate.

Barthheart

Moves are done. Here you can see that the 1SS Pz has moved 3 areas in the rush for the Meuse.

Barthheart

Trying a large coordinated attack. My 10 steps against his 3. But His is infantry in woods and a town so it's going to be hard fighting. The prediction shows I will likely only cause him to retreat. I want him dead though. If you completely kill the nemy units in an area you attack with armour, the armour gets to advance after combat!

Barthheart

ARGH! The fortunes of war! His unit takes 2 hits (of his 3 steps), 2 others being absorbed by the town and the forest, and gets to retreat.  :P

Barthheart

Here is a good picture showing the variable activation length near the end of the first day....

W8taminute

Awesome step by step AAR Barthheart.  I'm sold.  Guess what I will be purchasing later on this evening!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Barthheart

Quote from: W8taminute on January 07, 2013, 03:18:23 PM
Awesome step by step AAR Barthheart.  I'm sold.  Guess what I will be purchasing later on this evening!

Thanks! Let me know when you want a game.  8)

TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Barthheart

Quote from: TheCommandTent on January 07, 2013, 07:17:18 PM
Is this only for iPads?

Yep..... Although there is a rumour that they will release an actual board game somtime.....

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Barthheart on January 07, 2013, 09:03:39 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on January 07, 2013, 07:17:18 PM
Is this only for iPads?

Yep..... Although there is a rumour that they will release an actual board game somtime.....

I ask because my wife has an Android based tablet and it needs to be christened with a wargame.   ;D
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."