Xbox One vs PS4 - GO!

Started by bayonetbrant, November 26, 2013, 02:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIGMaster

I was really bummed to see that the PS4 is using an X86 processer as opposed to sticking with the cell processor. I think that CPU really gave the PS3 an edge in processing power, but in practice it was harder to code for, so I understand the switch.

I'll be interested to see how the PS4 works as a media centre - the PS3 was a great buy eve without using it for games!

Staggerwing

Ain't that the truth. I own only one PS3 game (Elder Scrolls: Oblivion) but use my PS3 almost every day to watch Hulu, Amazon Prime, and Netflix.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

jomni

Banzai Cat.  PS4 will be able to play PS3 games via cloud streaming.. But  I doubt they'll give you free access to a title that you currently have in the form of a physical disc. Also not sure if they will acknowledge the stuff you bought from PSN.

jomni

Migmaster. Yup. Cell is cutting edge but it is also the limiting factor. The devs still prefer conventional processors.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: MIGMaster on December 17, 2013, 03:04:53 PM
I was really bummed to see that the PS4 is using an X86 processer as opposed to sticking with the cell processor. I think that CPU really gave the PS3 an edge in processing power, but in practice it was harder to code for, so I understand the switch.

I'll be interested to see how the PS4 works as a media centre - the PS3 was a great buy eve without using it for games!

My wife and I watched The Avengers on Amazon Instant View (Prime) tonight via the PS4. It had one minor error that forced us to restart the app and resume, but the resolution was great and we were very pleased. No idea on the Hulu Plus and Netflix Apps, because we do not have a sub for those.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert