What Changes if the Japanese Didn't Attack Midway?

Started by FarAway Sooner, November 16, 2012, 04:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Quote from: Windigo on November 20, 2012, 08:19:57 PM
Japan's real mistake was not declaring war on the Soviet Union and keeping those Siberian troops in place

IIRC the Reds gave about as good as they got in the late 30's. Didn't Zhukov come out of Siberia? Both sides figured that neither really wanted that fight as badly as they thought.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

besilarius

You're right, LB.
Khalkin-Gol was a real disaster for the Japanese Kwantung Army.  They had the typical Japanese militarist attitude that after beating hordes of conscripted Chinese farmers, the Russians would be a pushover.
Also, in this battle, the armored might of the Japanese army was just torn to shreds.  They were shocked that the little tankettes which terrorised the Chinese were dwarfed by the Soviet BT series of tanks, and outnumbered something like 3.5 to 1.
The BTs were forrunners to the T34 and very good at maneuver.  I think Zhukov pulled off a double envelopment.
The Japanese army was thoroughly chastened and never considered attacking Russia again.
This was vital to Stalin during Barbarossa when he ltransferred Zhukov, and his Siberian forces to the Moscow front to counter attack after the German Operation Typhoon ran its course.
The Japanese ambassador to Germany during this first year of Barbarossa was transmitting regular appreciations of the the advance into Russia and heavily suggesting the time was right to seize the Russian Far East holdings.
The army was still too traumatised.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

LongBlade

Good point on Japanese armor, Bes.

They never figured out how to make a decent tank. The PTO was the one area where the Sherman was king.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

GDS_Starfury

Shermans did pretty damn well in North Africa as well. 
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Staggerwing

The Brits did ok with them on the West Front once they slapped in a 17pounder. That whole 'driving from the left side' however...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

besilarius

Consider it a challenge.
As folks get older and Alzheimer's becomes more common, doctors are encouraging seniors to challenge themselves.  Like learning to play piano - with BOTH hands.
Or learning to paint.
Something you would not ordinarily do.  Like driving on the right side of the road, like all the world does.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.