Whats on your painting table/workbench?

Started by TheCommandTent, July 08, 2012, 09:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJK

I haven't worked with lead mini's in 20 years (damn!) but received in the mail today an ebay purchase that I made the other day for "Blue Moon 15OW-100 15mm Cowboys (31) Miniatures Old West Gunslingers Gunfighters".  Not sure what got me in the mood but I broke out TSR's old RPG "Boot Hill" and played it with my son the other day.  We enjoyed it very much.  I remember liking the top-down counters but boy, they sure were flimsy, so I did a search and found those mini's for $15.  I've glued a few of them to 1/2" counters as bases (so that they'll fit on the Boot Hill map) but I'm contemplating doing the whole primer and painting thing.  Another time and money sink for wargaming - just what I need to do, right?  Well hell yeah, love that kind of stuff.  I'll probably stop by Hobby Lobby tomorrow and get some cheap paints and primer.  They're only 15mm so how bad could I mess them up?  One of them is a female gunfighter - I'll use her as my guinea pig to see how bad I'll suck at painting.  :)
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

LongBlade

Cool!

I still have my copy of Boot Hill, too. Never tried minis with it, though. Sounds like a blast.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

GJK

I'm currently writing a Game Assist Program (GAP) for it that will:
1) Generate Player character's, including figuring out First Shot values for any weapons selected by the player and base To Hit %'s.
2) Generate any number of NPC's, with weapons and First Shot/To Hit values.
3) Allow the player to select any number of Player Characters already generated, NPC's pre-generated and/or any of the "Fastest Guns that ever lived" historical characters to conduct a gunfight or brawl that will:
A) Determine who has the first shot(s) based on First Shot value + modifiers and moving state or surprise
B) Show all succeeding shot sequences up to the ROF of each participants weapon vs everybody else
C) Show the final To Hit % for any shots taken
Brawling is still a work in progress but I want it to automate it in the same fashion.
The program won't roll the percentile dice for you - I want to do that myself (though I could have it do that, but what fun is that?). 
I'm pretty excited to get the mini's on the map and use the "GAP" to fight out some massive gunfights that would of been a total nightmare to conduct if trying to figure it all out manually.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Yskonyn

This is currently on my paint station:

It's my first attempt ever at paining mini's. And I am loving it. :)
A childhood interest is finally getting some serious attention and I have started playing Wh40k with a friend. It's expensive stuff, though, so I am a bit amazed that it is so popular amongst youth.
I can barely afford a decent army and I have a good playing full time job! ;)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

LongBlade

Very nice! Post more as you paint them :)

TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

GJK

How do you get the granules of sand to stay on the base like that without forming a glob of glue?
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Yskonyn

Thanks guys. I am pretty much a novice at painting miniatures, but for a first time project I am quite pleased so far. I discover new techniques as I go.
The sand granules stay on with a simple method: I use an old brush to create a thin layer of glue and then dip the base into a pot of sand. Let it dry and then brush off the loose sand.
I use the white hobby glue for this.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

LongBlade

Quote from: GJK on November 08, 2012, 02:28:30 AM
How do you get the granules of sand to stay on the base like that without forming a glob of glue?

I use a 50/50 mix of Elmer's glue and water. That should do the trick.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: LongBlade on November 08, 2012, 08:48:50 AM
Quote from: GJK on November 08, 2012, 02:28:30 AM

I use a 50/50 mix of Elmer's glue and water. That should do the trick.

I use this formula to seal flocking on my bases sometimes.  The great thing about Elmer's glue is that if you coat the base with it as it dries it absorbs the sand and secures it, drying clear in the process.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

DV8

Quote from: DV8 on September 09, 2012, 12:21:44 PM
Yes.  I need to find a better matte finish since the Valspar gets cloudy.

Thought I'd show everyone the finish product.

"Most of my cliches aren't original." - Chuck Knox

LongBlade

Now I know why you were so hot to game today...

TheCommandTent

TheCommandTent

Two squads of 15mm Americans for Bolt Action primed and ready to be painted.  Now to find the time.

In other news I have a backlog of figures to be primed but with the cold weather its not looking like I'll get to them until spring, unless we have a day that warms up slightly or a friend's workshop I can use.

DV8

Looking good.  You you played a game yet?
"Most of my cliches aren't original." - Chuck Knox