Is there an interior designer in the house?

Started by Toonces, June 06, 2018, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

Ok, this took forever, but here are the pictures.  The office still isn't finished, but we're on the way.

So you don't have to go to the first post in the thread, here's a recap.

This is what the office looked like in the real estate listing with the owner's gear in it.

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

Here's what the room looked like when I moved in and put up the original post.  You can notice the shop lights still on the ceiling and the electrical boxes sticking up out of the floor for the old shop equipment.

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

This is what it looked like while I was finally starting to renovate the room.  Basically I had taken a carpet the previous owner left behind and put it over a good portion of the plywood floor, and then sort of covered the electrical boxes with the futon couch and desk and such.  Over Christmas the room flooded which ruined the carpet and inspired me to put up the OP and get on with fixing the room up.  You can see the Obutto and couch, and the old crappy bookcases under the plastic covering.

I originally painted the accent wall this "London blue" but it came out looking like blue jeans/Barney purple and looked like absolute shit.  Not like the swatch we took to Sherwin Williams.  So, sadly and with an angry heart, I had to start over with a new color you'll see in the final version, which I like much, much better.

Toonces

And here's the final version as of today.  I'll post up some close-ups of my books in the library thread.

The flooring is the vinyl plank flooring from Home Depot.  My wife picked it out; it's different than what we originally intended to go with and I couldn't be happier with it.  You'll notice the part by the door isn't finished because I don't have the tools to cut the planks properly and I also don't know how to finish it.  It's on the to-do list.

The bookcases are from Ikea, the Hemnes wood ones.  They're pretty nice for the cost.  I had needed one more to get all my books up into the cases and bought the wrong color a few days before Covid shut everything down.  Finally a couple of weeks ago I was able to go back to Ikea and exchange it for the right color.  I built it last weekend and spent the last few days organizing my books by subject.  I'm really pleased with the result.  There are some empty shelves now because I have more bookcase room, and I pulled the boardgames I had stashed in the bookcases out.

I got new sheets for the couch and moved it to where the Obutto was sitting.  The Obutto is broken down in the garage now pending sale or something.

The blue wall is where my big desk was.  Now that the Obutto is gone I moved the desk to where it is now and I have that whole part of the room to use.  I'm thinking of putting an aquarium and maybe an Eames style chair facing it.  That's in the pending pile.

So anyway, thanks for all the help, fellas.  It was a much longer journey than I expected, but now that we're planning on staying in this house indefinitely I figured it was time to settle down.

Toonces

Oh, and also, I never did get around to putting in new beams where the shop lights were.  I have the wood in the garage, but I have to break out the paint and paint them before I put them up and I don't know when I'll get around to that.  I also need to put in some lighting.  The electrician left me a junction box that used to run to the shop lights.  I don't really know how to do electrical work, but it can't be that hard to run some wires to some lights.  Once I decide on something I'll also put some lights in and be able to get rid of the standing lamp.

Like I said, this is a bit of a work in progress.  This house has needed a lot of work, and I'm not the handiest of Grogheads.

Martok

That looks like a pretty nice setup, Toonces.  Heck, your bookshelves alone make me a little jealous.  :) 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Toonces

I quite literally got rid of half of my books before I moved out here.  What a bummer.  I keep looking for books and thinking, "no way, did I really get rid of that book?"  It sucks. 

Once I get settled into my civilian job, and it seems like it's all working out, I'm going to get rid of all the textbooks I've been hauling around all these years.  I just want to make sure I'm not teaching undergrad oceanography or meteorology before I unload them; I'd hate to have to acquire all of them again LOL.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

wajayme

I love your little library! Your office looks fantastic, I adore the fact that you bought a bed as well, haha. The office is always our second home whether we want it or not. I want to do something similar, but in my garden :)  I've seen a couple of things I could buy on [REDACTED] that would make my garden look better. I'm also getting a lot of inspiration from your post, even though it's an office! My garden has a little covered space, so that's where I spent my time reading or working. I have a remote job, therefore this is absolute heaven for me, working outside in nature.

Sir Slash

Very nice job Toonces. Clearly there's talent on display here. I think it's good not to rush a job like that. Think it through and give yourself time to consider alternate options. Very impressive.  :clap:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

zebon

Very impressive did Toonces! Especially I liked your book Shelf you keep it in the right place

Toonces

kristonber

This looks amazing, in a weird way. I mean, it's not on my taste, to be honest. I could only stay there for a month, but not more. I feel like the atmosphere would depress me. My dream is to own a house on the beach :) I want to wake up in the morning and watch the ocean as the sun rises. I'd love to live in houses like these here: [REDACTED]. The gothic isn't my favorite style. I do love the library, though, as I'm a big reader, and I would finally have some space for my books, hahah.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: kristonber on November 22, 2021, 05:26:53 AM
I could only stay there for a month, but not more. I feel like the atmosphere would depress me.

:DD :2funny:
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

vezasd

I can advise you to renovate in a modern style and add some classic details. Paint the walls in cold colors.