Combat Mission Shock Force 2 Vietnam-esque Super Mod.

Started by MOS:96B2P, March 26, 2021, 02:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: z1812 on March 30, 2021, 01:14:19 PM
I imagine the reinforcement option could be used to simulate helicopter insertions.

As noted above. But really, why bother? CM depicts short company or battalion size engagements. It's not like helicopters were actively redeploying maneuver elements in the course of a typical firefight or engagement.

z1812

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on March 30, 2021, 01:39:47 PM
I imagine the reinforcement option could be used to simulate helicopter insertions.

As noted above. But really, why bother? CM depicts short company or battalion size engagements. It's not like helicopters were actively redeploying maneuver elements in the course of a typical firefight or engagement.

Why bother? For purposes of campaign design.

MOS:96B2P

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on March 30, 2021, 08:40:49 AM
Quote from: MOS:96B2P on March 28, 2021, 10:29:29 AM
In the above referred to, stereotypical jungle trail patrol, scenario a CM map is huge.  With jungles, hills, swamps, scattered villages, little to no roads etc.  Some would argue this is the perfect CM infantry type terrain.  In many cases it would probably be a waste of time to build a 16 square kilometer map for such a scenario. 

Vietnam had a large mix of terrain types - it wasn't just jungle.  There was plenty of conventional woodland areas very similar to the European terrain depicted by the other CM titles.

QuoteThe helicopters shown in the screenshots are Flavor Objects and not functional.  Helicopter operations can be simulated in the CM games.  One example is the CMBS scenario Tactical Operations Center (TOC).  Through the use of setup zones a player is given a choice of Landing Zones.  He can use one or all or none (take vehicles / foot instead) of the LZs.  This only works at the start of the scenario. 

Not necessarily - you could have reinforcements "teleport" into different areas of the map throughout the game, to simulate helicopter landings. You couldn't simulate the effects of ground fire on the aircraft, nor prevent the landings by AA, etc., nor could you control where or when they "landed", but it isn't restricted to scenario start IIRC.

Yes, I agree.   :)

By restricted to scenario start I was referring to choosing a landing zone based on the setup zone colors on the first turn.  Having reinforcements appear during the game is how the helicopter landing zone worked in the above (and below) screenshot.  With other units (that were generally unit objective targets) leaving via an Exit zone on the same LZ.  Lots of cool scenarios and campaigns can be created.  The South East Asian super Mod provides another area of the world.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: z1812 on March 30, 2021, 05:50:20 PM

I don't understand the relationship. Can you explain?

Old TImer

Quote from: z1812 on March 29, 2021, 06:37:48 PM
Quote from: gregb41352 on March 29, 2021, 06:04:33 PM
"There is everything from operation Neptune Spear (the raid to kill Bin Laden) to 3rd World Coup d'etats, hostage rescue/evacuations to scenarios set in Africa and other places.  One designer is also working on a police mod for CMSF2."

Where are such goodies to be found?  The Battlefront website community forums?  I poked around in there some and I couldn't find much.

Here you are:       https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/cm-mod-warehouse/

There is also the scenario depot:        https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/

Here is the Heaven and Earth Mod      https://community.battlefront.com/topic/138677-heaven-earth-the-peoples-beta/

Many thanks.

z1812

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on March 30, 2021, 10:53:44 PM
Quote from: z1812 on March 30, 2021, 05:50:20 PM

I don't understand the relationship. Can you explain?

You design a 5 mission campaign. On the 3r or 4th mission you would like to simulate troops being delivered by helicopter. Identify a reinforcement entry area and viola.........simulated Helo delivery.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: z1812 on March 31, 2021, 03:38:05 PM
You design a 5 mission campaign. On the 3r or 4th mission you would like to simulate troops being delivered by helicopter. Identify a reinforcement entry area and viola.........simulated Helo delivery.

CM hasn't had a persistent terrain campaign model for nearly 20 years. There would be no reason to do this.

z1812

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on April 01, 2021, 12:15:38 AM

CM hasn't had a persistent terrain campaign model for nearly 20 years. There would be no reason to do this.

You don't need persistent terrain in a campaign to feature one or 2 scenarios with a simulated Helo insertion using the reinforcement method. You don't even need to do it in a campaign. You could use it in any scenario. It may not suit you, but like it or not it can be done. The world does turn upon what your opinion may be. If you don't like the approach don't use it. But it can be done.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: z1812 on April 01, 2021, 09:02:14 AM
Quote from: Michael Dorosh on April 01, 2021, 12:15:38 AM

You don't need persistent terrain in a campaign to feature one or 2 scenarios with a simulated Helo insertion using the reinforcement method. You don't even need to do it in a campaign. You could use it in any scenario. It may not suit you, but like it or not it can be done. The world does turn upon what your opinion may be. If you don't like the approach don't use it. But it can be done.

I have no quibble with the method, but it has nothing to do with a campaign, which was what you stated in your original comment. Given that campaigns in CM are just scenarios strung together, it's plain old irrelevant to the design of a campaign.

Old TImer

Quote from: MOS:96B2P on March 26, 2021, 02:22:28 PM
37mm has released a Vietnam-esque" Super-mod for CMSF2 called Heaven & Earth.  At the bottom of this post I attempted to link a U-Tube video.  This super-mod practically turns CMSF 2 into another CM game family.  It is still in Beta but is available for download, game play and feedback.  It even features working riverine patrol craft.  Very cool.  I'm really looking forward to the final version.       

Some of the content includes:

Four "Bong-Hai Civil War" Era Campaigns-
The 15 mission "Year of the Rat"

I can't get this to run.  Locks up my computer tighter than a drum.

A 15 mission People's Militia concept campaign (The Special War).

A conversion of a 7 mission CMA campaign now dubbed Major Nguyens Command.

A 7 mission Urban "conversion" campaign. 

Sixteen "Bong-Hai Civil War" Era scenarios

One Modern era Campaign- Battle of Quy Ly- 4 missions

Nine Modern Era scenarios.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cegG3ZbpFg

z1812

Quote from: gregb41352 on April 01, 2021, 11:03:01 PM
Quote from: MOS:96B2P on March 26, 2021, 02:22:28 PM
37mm has released a Vietnam-esque" Super-mod for CMSF2 called Heaven & Earth.  At the bottom of this post I attempted to link a U-Tube video.  This super-mod practically turns CMSF 2 into another CM game family.  It is still in Beta but is available for download, game play and feedback.  It even features working riverine patrol craft.  Very cool.  I'm really looking forward to the final version.       

Some of the content includes:

Four "Bong-Hai Civil War" Era Campaigns-
The 15 mission "Year of the Rat"

A 15 mission People's Militia concept campaign (The Special War).

A conversion of a 7 mission CMA campaign now dubbed Major Nguyens Command.

A 7 mission Urban "conversion" campaign. 

Sixteen "Bong-Hai Civil War" Era scenarios

One Modern era Campaign- Battle of Quy Ly- 4 missions

Nine Modern Era scenarios.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cegG3ZbpFg

I have not installed it yet so I can't help you. If you post at Battlefront, in the cmsf2 mods ands scenario section, someone will help you.

Below is an example of Landing Zones (LZ)s in use.  A Company sized element lands by platoon in LZ Whiskey.  The first platoon starts in the LZ.  The remaining platoons spawn in LZ Whiskey, using the reinforcement feature, during the early part of the scenario.  The platoons move east with the mission of searching the village for supplies and insurgents.  They have off map artillery on call from a firebase and air support.  After searching the village the platoons move to the extraction point at LZ Echo.  LZ Echo contains an exit zone.  The platoons are unit objectives and must exit or the insurgents earn victory points.  Various triggers may be activated by the maneuvering platoons.  Lots of interesting possibilities.

OpFor

Jarhead0331

The opfor guys are too clean cut. They look like SF in pajamas. They need covers. Bandanas, conical hats, etc.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 08, 2021, 02:27:23 PM
The opfor guys are too clean cut. They look like SF in pajamas. They need covers. Bandanas, conical hats, etc.

Good point.  That could be improved.  The super mod is actually still in Beta.  Over at the BFC forums the topic is referred to as "The Peoples Beta".  I will mention this improvement to 37mm who also stops by this forum (not sure of his forum name here).  Those suggestions would be a cool improvement.   

Father Ted

Obviously a huge part of the COIN thing is differentiating the civilians from the armed threat, so can CM do non-combatants?