Sergeant Arthur Johnston Jr > US Army Air Force (MIA)

Started by Double Deuce, November 28, 2012, 08:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Double Deuce

Years of on again, off again family research finally pays off. I found significant documentation on my Great Uncle Arthur (my Paternal Grandmother's little brother) whose B-25d went down in the Aleutians, August 16, 1944. His body and those of the others on board were never recovered. Unfortunately, my great grandparents, grandmother and the rest of Arthur's siblings have all since passed and from the stories I have been told the only information they were provided by the military was general information about his plane going down in the Aleutians.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Arthur Johnston, Jr.    ID: 32752292
Entered the Service From: Delaware

Service: U.S. Army, 6th Radar Calibration Detachment

Died: Wednesday, August 16, 1944
Memorialized at: Honolulu Memorial
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I will add more to this thread as I put the information together but for now I have attached the Official Missing Air Crew Report and the only known picture of him in uniform.

LongBlade

Glad you're finding his history.

I found a free online documentary made on the battle there. Not sure how much info it may have for you, but I'll keep digging and see what else I can find.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/report-from-the-aleutians/
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

Double Deuce

Thanks LB. The Pacific has never been an area of interest for me even though all my relatives fought there in WWII, but that has changed in the last year or so. I've always been a western front history type of person, guess I got a lot to study up on.

LongBlade

I have a friend who works at the WWII museum. If you run across something you don't understand or would like more info on LMK. I'll see what I can do.

TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."