Trials and tribulations of owning a house

Started by Jarhead0331, February 06, 2021, 11:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

So I have a very strange problem that I simply cannot figure out involving my roof or chimney. We have this very large chimney in our great room that is white stucco. Over the last couple of years, I noticed streaks coming down from where the chimney meets the ceiling. After a while, some ripples or bubbling started to appear on the chimney. I never see active water or any wet spots. Just very light streaks...but the bubbling is getting worse.

I've had my roofer over at least 3 times to check the roof and flashing in the area. I've had the chimney resealed and installed a new cap. The problem still seems to be there.

Any ideas as to what the hell could be causing the problem? The roof is only about 5 years old.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Myrmidon

A GC I have been working with for about 10 years now was telling me about a similar issue.  The problem was spotty over a period of about a year, and he had his roofer by to check it several times as well. 

Finally, he had one of his workers stand on the roof with a hose sprayer and concentrate the spray on different areas around the chimney for about an hour or 2, while another guy was in the attic.  They finally found the leak. It was the smallest of gaps in the flashing that would only be a problem if the rain was blowing in just the right direction. 

It's a real PiTA to find, but in the Trades, there's a saying that "water doesn't lie".  If it's there, it's got to be getting there somehow, so it will be simply a matter of persistence to find it.  You may have to wait for the right kind of day to have someone get up there and do some testing. 

Not sure if you're dealing with snow in your neck of the woods, as that can pose problems that normal rain water doesn't.

Jarhead0331

Yup. We have rain and snow. In fact, we just had about a foot and a half of snow.

The problem is, there is no attic in the area where the chimney is. It's just roof and chimney, so we wouldn't be able to find it that way. Ugh.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

Do you have a good general contractor - besides the roofer? A good one will have a way to diagnose the issue.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

if its just brick and stucco then it sounds like those materials are just saturated with moisture, much like Gus's groin.
its that moisture thats slowly leeching through and into and onto the surface.  best bet is your going to have to wait for a long dry spell and then have it resealed.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 06, 2021, 12:56:34 PM
if its just brick and stucco then it sounds like those materials are just saturated with moisture, much like Gus's groin.
its that moisture thats slowly leeching through and into and onto the surface.  best bet is your going to have to wait for a long dry spell and then have it resealed.

Have what resealed though? I just had the entire chimney coated with some kind of a duracoat and the roofer has done the flashing several times.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

GDS_Starfury

any pictures? 
was the inside of the chimney sealed or just the outside?
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

There can already be moisture trapped within the brick or the stucco, which got in before the re-sealing.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

jamus34

Quote from: Gusington on February 06, 2021, 12:32:35 PM
Do you have a good general contractor - besides the roofer? A good one will have a way to diagnose the issue.

Talking to a dedicated chimney guy probably wouldn't hurt either.
Insert witty comment here.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 06, 2021, 02:20:32 PM
any pictures? 
was the inside of the chimney sealed or just the outside?

Just the exterior. I'll post some pics.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

Yeah Jamus, I have a dedicated chimney guy myself. I don't mess around with the furnace/fireplace/chimneys, etc.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Myrmidon

How hard is it to pop the outside soffit open and peak up in there? 

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Myrmidon on February 06, 2021, 06:18:47 PM
How hard is it to pop the outside soffit open and peak up in there?

Hard. It's very high. It's not something I would do myself.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog