Battle of Britain Woes

Started by Johnnie, March 21, 2018, 08:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnie

In anticipation of Check Your 6!  I got into full Battle of Britain mode.  Watched the movie for the 10th time or so.  I still like it:  Star filled cast; very pretty cars and beautiful planes and a beautiful Sussanah York in her undies.  Downloaded Len Deighton's "Fighter" to re-read it.  Not as good as I remembered. Finally Check Your 6! was available, but it does not satisfy me for a number of reasons (which I described in the game thread in this forum.)  So I doug out my ancient copy of Achtung Spitfire (kind of similar to Check Your 6! but more fun) but it will not even load on Windows 10.  And now, tonight IL-2 Cliffs of Dover Blitz won't load after the last update (no fix on Steam yet) even though it ran last night.

I guess tonight I'll finish "Fighter" and watch,  I don't know, maybe Tora Tora Tora.   

Staggerwing

Quote from: Johnnie on March 21, 2018, 08:49:22 PM
In anticipation of Check Your 6!  I got into full Battle of Britain mode.  Watched the movie for the 10th time or so.  I still like it:  Star filled cast; very pretty cars and beautiful planes and a beautiful Sussanah York in her undies.  Downloaded Len Deighton's "Fighter" to re-read it.  Not as good as I remembered. Finally Check Your 6! was available, but it does not satisfy me for a number of reasons (which I described in the game thread in this forum.)  So I doug out my ancient copy of Achtung Spitfire (kind of similar to Check Your 6! but more fun) but it will not even load on Windows 10.  And now, tonight IL-2 Cliffs of Dover Blitz won't load after the last update (no fix on Steam yet) even though it ran last night.

I guess tonight I'll finish "Fighter" and watch,  I don't know, maybe Tora Tora Tora.

Watch 'Dark Blue World' and feel even more sad.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MengJiao

Quote from: Johnnie on March 21, 2018, 08:49:22 PM

Sometimes you have to reset your C++ (version or something) to run recent games like CLoD after you run primitive games (like MAre Nostrum oddly enough).  My feeling about the Battle of Britain is that (like much of WWII), it is much more interesting if divested of all its mythic qualities.  So movies can't so that and only recent books and games like The Burning Blue, the Most Dangerous Enemy and The wages of Destruction can really get it into focus.

Johnnie

MJ:  I don't understand what you mean by resetting your C++ version.

MengJiao

Quote from: Johnnie on March 21, 2018, 09:43:29 PM
MJ:  I don't understand what you mean by resetting your C++ version.

Something along the lines of making Clod Blitz re-run its install of C++ from the start as in:

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/558746089132869491/

(this seems to be because some games (old ones and/or Mare Nostrum) install their C++ run code in such a way that they clobber the C++ that lets CLodBlitz run)

Phantom

You can get a copy of Achtung Spitfire from Old-Games.com - I think its legit, and it runs on Win10 with a little tweaking. Also Over the Reich.

I had exactly the same issue with CoD - I'll look at above fix & see if it helps, but it was annoying that the "upgrade" meant I could no longer run a game I'd paid for.