Armored Commander II

Started by ArizonaTank, May 17, 2020, 11:27:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smithcorp

Ahto and his crew are still alive as at 12 December 1939. The campaign has been a roller-coaster of fighting withdrawals, with adjacent forces not very effective at holding their ground, followed by counter-attacks in the snow. We've been fighting infantry, AT-rifle crews, armoured cars, AT guns and even one T26 tank.

I've been wary of getting cut off during withdrawals but it pays to really look at the map. I found myself trapped with my back to a river, unable to cross and had to attack forward and then across the enemy rear to get to a bridge (marked by tiny brown markings).

In attack I've started being bolder, attacking adjacent hexes from the flanks which has been effective so far, but in general we are getting pushed back hard.

I used skill points to give my gunner, commander and driver some useful skills though they haven't seemed to make a difference yet. My approach is to take the shot, even at 3% chance and to manoeuvre and reposition to try to raise my chance of a hit.

I generally never ask my crew to spot - right from the start of the day I have the commander directing firing, gunner on the MG or gun and driver driving. What are you doing? I sometimes have the commander's hatch open until I know what I'm facing, but I've had a few close calls with snipers. I'm not sure how much more effective it is to direct the gunner from an open hatch yet.

How do we feel about fate points? I have been using them, most often against infantry throwing grenades. is it cheating do you think?

Still enjoying this - had a few close calls where I've figured I'm done for, up against BA6s, SU12s and BA-20s, but we've pulled throuhgh, though an air attack killed one of my troop.

smithcorp

-budd-

When you start going up against heavier stuff, you'll like the fate points ;) . Sometimes i forget i have them. The Dev put them in, so don't really think there cheating but you can always decide not to use them. I consider it a balance factor against the RNG, sometimes the enemy seems to get on a consistent roll of good odds. I try to save them for that FUBAR ambush situation.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

smithcorp

Its been updated - old save games aren't compatible unfortunately.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: smithcorp on June 03, 2020, 06:42:01 AM
How do we feel about fate points? I have been using them, most often against infantry throwing grenades. is it cheating do you think?

I don't think it is cheating. Ultimately the game is about "the game", and having a good time. It is also an RPG creating stories...a close call is always more interesting than a sudden inglorious end.

One of my favorite books about WWI is "Toward the Flame". It is a war diary that reads like a novel. Anyway, it takes you through so much of the campaign...but then ends suddenly in the middle of an enemy attack when the author is wounded. There is nothing after that...it just ends. A game of Armored Commander II where your pixel protagonist is lost without fate points would feel like that...unfinished.

FYI, A bit off topic, but "Toward the Flame" is a great book. A downloadable copy of "Toward the Flame" is at:
https://archive.org/details/towardflamewardi00herv/page/n5/mode/2up
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.