Armored Commander II

Started by ArizonaTank, May 17, 2020, 11:27:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smithcorp

This is a lot of fun.

I started as Under-sergeant Ahto Kvisto, in command of a Finnish Vickers 6 ton Mark E (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vickers_6-Ton) armed with a 3-pounder. We are in fighting withdrawal with the Russians advancing. In my first day we are holding a position, its snowing. Infantry, scout cars and tank destroyers are advancing. First action is against an SU-12 truck-mounted SP gun, an HMG squad and an infantry section. We hold position, and destroy or rout the enemy. Next wave is a rifle section, AT rifle squad and a BA-20 mg-armed armoured car. In the process of engaging and destroying these enemies with no friendly losses, my 47mm gun goes kaput for the rest of the day. We are in the poo. I also notice that while my troop has held, the units on our flanks have given way and we need to withdraw or be enveloped. I request fire support but its turned down.

Next phase we have no gun and need to get out of the hex. As commander I'm throwing smoke grenades and when at one point we bump into some kind of enemy vehicle, I tell the driver to withdraw, assuming this would reverse out of range. Instead, it puts us back in the hex we left, with our friendlies even further to our rear! The next combats involve lots of smoke and advancing past enemy infantry with only coax to use against the Red forces. By the end of the day at 3.20pm (Der Ost in Winter) we have survived having not bumped into anything nasty, but we still have to get back to friendly lines. It isn't looking good.

JasonPratt

I don't often dream about games, but I dreamed about this one last night! -- and I haven't even played it much yet!  :smitten:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

ArizonaTank

Quote from: smithcorp on May 24, 2020, 04:51:15 AM
This is a lot of fun.

I started as Under-sergeant Ahto Kvisto, in command of a Finnish Vickers 6 ton Mark E (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vickers_6-Ton) armed with a 3-pounder. We are in fighting withdrawal with the Russians advancing. In my first day we are holding a position, its snowing. Infantry, scout cars and tank destroyers are advancing. First action is against an SU-12 truck-mounted SP gun, an HMG squad and an infantry section. We hold position, and destroy or rout the enemy. Next wave is a rifle section, AT rifle squad and a BA-20 mg-armed armoured car. In the process of engaging and destroying these enemies with no friendly losses, my 47mm gun goes kaput for the rest of the day. We are in the poo. I also notice that while my troop has held, the units on our flanks have given way and we need to withdraw or be enveloped. I request fire support but its turned down.

Next phase we have no gun and need to get out of the hex. As commander I'm throwing smoke grenades and when at one point we bump into some kind of enemy vehicle, I tell the driver to withdraw, assuming this would reverse out of range. Instead, it puts us back in the hex we left, with our friendlies even further to our rear! The next combats involve lots of smoke and advancing past enemy infantry with only coax to use against the Red forces. By the end of the day at 3.20pm (Der Ost in Winter) we have survived having not bumped into anything nasty, but we still have to get back to friendly lines. It isn't looking good.

Good stuff!
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

-budd-

Quote from: smithcorp on May 24, 2020, 04:51:15 AM
This is a lot of fun.

I started as Under-sergeant Ahto Kvisto, in command of a Finnish Vickers 6 ton Mark E (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vickers_6-Ton) armed with a 3-pounder. We are in fighting withdrawal with the Russians advancing. In my first day we are holding a position, its snowing. Infantry, scout cars and tank destroyers are advancing. First action is against an SU-12 truck-mounted SP gun, an HMG squad and an infantry section. We hold position, and destroy or rout the enemy. Next wave is a rifle section, AT rifle squad and a BA-20 mg-armed armoured car. In the process of engaging and destroying these enemies with no friendly losses, my 47mm gun goes kaput for the rest of the day. We are in the poo. I also notice that while my troop has held, the units on our flanks have given way and we need to withdraw or be enveloped. I request fire support but its turned down.

Agreed, good stuff. I guess you can never tell just by the looks what will be fun.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

smithcorp

Got my gun working again and made it back to our lines in one piece. Next day was a counter-attack and we pushed hard, getting into a nasty fight with some 47mm gun carrying armoured cars. One BA6 was immobilised and as i brought the troop forward to deal with it, it killed the rest of the my troop - 4 tanks - with 4 consecutive shots! I kept repositioning and trying to find hull-down positions as I traded shots with it, until i finally killed it after maybe 10 back and forth shots.

I then bravely pushed on, taking the hex in front, and then pushed right two hexes, taking territory without opposition. I've put quite a bulge in their line, but if they push in behind me I will have some trouble without any support!

JasonPratt

Soviet armored cars were very boss-level. That 45mm cannon was the world's best vehicle weapon when it was developed, and the Sovs put it on everything they could find. Even their crappy first tank from back in 1928 eventually got one! (And it's in the game, as the worst tank available when invading Poland.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

al_infierno

Yeah, this game is definitely special.  I don't really agree with people on Steam labeling it a "roguelike."  It's more of a turn-based tactical tank sim with minimalist graphics and permadeath than anything that resembles NetHack or Rogue.  More reminds me of ASL except streamlined and focused on a single tank and its crew caught in the midst of a larger scenario.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Pete Dero

Can you change the key bindings ?

I notice it looks to be build for qwerty keyboards but in my part of the world we use azerty.  (I think only Belgium and France use this so probably too small as a market)

JasonPratt

If I recall correctly, yes you can set the keyboard for other layouts! -- including azerty!

Most (if not all) commands will stay the same. But plotting which hex to move into will change its bindings I suppose.

-budd-

-budd-

Alpha 5 released, a lot of cool looking changes. You have to opt into on the games property page to download.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1292020

-budd-

After trading shots and knocking out a Jadpanzer, over running two infantry squads attacking me with grenades, and charging an 88 and knocking it out, a Stug in the trees knocks me out. Day 1

A lot of fun changes in the alpha.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: -budd- on May 30, 2020, 09:25:52 AM
Alpha 5 released, a lot of cool looking changes. You have to opt into on the games property page to download.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1292020

Very exciting indeed!!!

There are some things I wish the game did better...hopefully these things will come in later versions. For example, friendly forces...sure I know the game is abstracting this level of detail...but it would be nice to see some friendly infantry or other armored forces to your left and right now and then. Or, better management of your platoon forces. Other than that, the game if moving along nicely.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

GroggyGrognard

Quote from: -budd- on May 30, 2020, 11:40:17 AM
After trading shots and knocking out a Jadpanzer, over running two infantry squads attacking me with grenades, and charging an 88 and knocking it out, a Stug in the trees knocks me out. Day 1

^Ouch!

Groggy
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

JasonPratt

I see the Army was sending in soldiers with German families just in case.  :o