Main Menu

Freefalcon is dead

Started by Toonces, January 16, 2013, 05:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

I talked to Steve tonight and he's doing good. 

There is a little more to the story, but in general I got the gist of it right above.  Looking at it from his point of view, he did the right thing. 

We're going to stay in touch, and you know, I'll get over it.  I got over Wargamer imploding, didn't I?   ;D
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

On a side note, I invited Steve over here.  I told him about this thing called "Steam" that he'd never heard of, told him we'd show him around the ropes.   LOL.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Toonces on January 18, 2013, 01:19:14 AM
On a side note, I invited Steve over here.  I told him about this thing called "Steam" that he'd never heard of, told him we'd show him around the ropes.   LOL.

It would be an honor to have him.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Toonces

I was searching up some things re: Freefalcon on Google tonight and this thread popped up.  Crazy.  I had no idea I'd even posted this, nor that I'd been on Grogheads quite this long.

Steve never did show up here, which is unfortunate.  Last time I talked to him, which was likely a decade or more ago, he nearly died from a heart attack.  Chest pains, followed by laid out on the floor, and only by the luck of fate or God was he found and help called in time.  I can relate, as I've likely told the story of my own where I had chest pains while exercising that turned out to be a near-lethal 90+ % coronary artery blockage.  No warning; one day fine, next day heart had had enough and, had I not been is shape, I would have just keeled over apparently.

It makes we wonder, sometimes, why we spend our time doing what we do.  It also makes me sad - and is why I stopped developing - to realize that modding sims/games is a thankless chore.  Games will inevitably move on or be forgotten, and the work become unuseable/worthless.  You work and work, and work on something, and then the game is updated, or Windows is updated, or whatever, and suddenly your mod that you invested hours/days/weeks/months/years in is suddenly worthless. 

I'm glad I figured that our early, and bagged on things when I did. But I'm likewise sad that Freefalcon died, and wonder how much I contributed to that.  Freefalcon, IMO, remains the best version of Falcon.  I appreciate what BMS has done, but like DCS, I feel like they've added complexity where it really is unnecessary.  There is a cost/benefit to sim complexity, and I've always thought Freefalcon was the perfect balance.

I have a lot more to say on this, but this isn't the thread for it.

I imagine, by now, Steve, Ranger, and some of those guys are passed on.  It bums me out.  I only have the one experience of being on a dev team, but I do know that these online relationships matter.  I wish I had stayed in touch with Steve.  I haven't any idea how I'd contact him at this point.

Toonces

I've probably posted this before, but I'm feeling nostalgic and so.

Steve sent this to me while I was on the Boat because he know my enthusiasm for the F-4 Phantom.

Unfortunately, this is just about the time Freefalcon began its demise, so in some ways, in addition to being a celebration of the F-4, it's also a tribute to what Freefalcon is and could have been.

Damn, those were good days.

Toonces

This is seriously old-skool.  In fact it has 0 YouTube views, so I wonder if it's even going to show up below.

Near the very, very end of Freefalcon, I was working on the Panama theater.  This was my baby.  I had created several campaigns, including a few that were blue vs. red aggressor scenarios including my own skinning work on the F-18's and F-5's.  While I was working on that, though, I was also working on the Vietnam theater and ITO2.  So frequently I was taping my flights for debug purposes in a lot of various theaters, not necessarily flying to fight or win, but rather figuring out the bugs.  Yet, being the pilot I am, sometimes I had to just fly and fight and kill MiGs.

At some point I had just a ton of garbage video and asked Steve if I could compile it into something and got the OK.  It pissed a few people off because some of the features, like the A-6 bombardier, were until that point unseen and unknown. 

Regardless, it seems few saw it or noticed.  I'm glad I have this record of Freefalcon's potential.  But, when you see the shitty bomb runs, understand this was bug testing, yo.  I fly and kill better than this LOL.

Toonces

:notworthy:

Toonces

Looks like the rest of my Falcon vids are on Vimeo.  Not sure what I even did that at this point.  Ah well.

Long live Freefalcon!   \m/

Jarhead0331

What about BMS? That is very much still alive and well. Any interest in getting involved with their team?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18