Victory at Sea

Started by Shelldrake, April 13, 2015, 12:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelldrake

Just picked up the Victory at Sea documentary from Amazon. Great B&W WW2 naval footage even if the narration is pretty bombastic. I certainly can't complain since I paid all of $10!
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Silent Disapproval Robot

Nice.

I stupidly lent my copy out a few years ago. Still haven't got it back.  I did get the remastered bluray World at War collection though.  It's still all kinds of awesome.

BanzaiCat

I still have a few World at War episodes on VHS when I got it through Time Life many, many years ago... :)

DoctorQuest

It is a classic that should be in any WWII collection. I got mine in the bargain bin at Walmart. Go figure.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Gusington

Never seen either one. Mostly because growing up it seemed to be everywhere, you know? Now that I am ag-ed, it is less so.

Are they both worth watching?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

They might seem a little slow-paced these days, but back when there was no Internet, sonny, all you had to play with was a stick and a bottle of your mom's Aveeno. We might have walked funny in those days, but dammit, we were entertained.

Staggerwing

And entertaining. At least while you were walkin' funny.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Sir Slash

My father was at Okinawa and told me many times about the terrible typhoon they sailed through on the way to the battle. I thought he was just story-telling until I saw the actual footage on Victory at Sea and now I know how close I came to never being here. The narration is all propaganda but the film footage is incredible at times. There must be edited versions out there because I've seen some that are shorter in duration than what must be the original TV version.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.