Main Menu

Korean War

Started by JudgeDredd, January 26, 2024, 03:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 29, 2024, 02:59:29 AM
Quote from: matt3916 on January 27, 2024, 06:08:26 PMJudgeDredd -- Good grief!! What in the world is Amazon.UK doing?  I concur the prices they're charging for This Kind of War are absurd.  Do you Brits do interlibrary loan?
We get ripped of for everything. You should see the price of board games!

There are other outlets tbf, as pointed out by Arizonatank and bobarossa

JD...if it would result in significant savings for you, I'm happy to get the occassional "must have" item for you here in the good ole' USA and ship it your way.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Sigwolf

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 29, 2024, 03:02:39 AM
Quote from: Sigwolf on January 27, 2024, 09:23:07 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 27, 2024, 02:56:08 AM
Quote from: matt3916 on January 26, 2024, 05:12:21 PMThis Kind of War by  T.R. Fehrenbach.
Thanks.

This one is out of my price range for books. We all have limits of things, right?  :huh:

If you do digital, Amazon has the kindle version priced at $2.99 right now.
I do do digital - and actually prefer it, however, I don't do digital for books that have maps and/or images because Kindle doesn't render them well.

So basically I prefer a physical book for my historical reading.
Totally understandable.  There are definitely times when a physical book is preferable.

I do, however, use a two-tier approach to deal with the kindle's limitation when physical isn't an option.  Kindle for text only books, and an android tablet for books with maps/images.  Probably not worth the expense if you don't already use a tablet, but if you do it is a pretty good compromise.

nelmsm

I do the same thing for books with maps.  I've found my tablet good for reading rulebooks as well.

JudgeDredd

Yeah - good idea. I don't have a tablet, but I've been thinking about getting one

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 29, 2024, 09:34:21 AMJD...if it would result in significant savings for you, I'm happy to get the occassional "must have" item for you here in the good ole' USA and ship it your way.
That's very generous of you - thank you.

I don't see it as a "must have"...there are certainly other books on Korea I could collect before deeming this one a requirement. Although reading about a unit advancing in another direction does sound exciting.

Thanks all the same though...very thoughtful.
Alba gu' brath

nelmsm

The book is called Retreat, Hell!  We're Just Attacking in Another Direction: The Epic Story of the 1st Marines in Korea.  Jim Wilson is the author.

The one on Amazon was a bit pricey but there are some pretty cheap copies on Ebay.  I've found some really good books pretty cheap on Ebay over the years.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 29, 2024, 09:34:21 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 29, 2024, 02:59:29 AM
Quote from: matt3916 on January 27, 2024, 06:08:26 PMJudgeDredd -- Good grief!! What in the world is Amazon.UK doing?  I concur the prices they're charging for This Kind of War are absurd.  Do you Brits do interlibrary loan?
We get ripped of for everything. You should see the price of board games!

There are other outlets tbf, as pointed out by Arizonatank and bobarossa

JD...if it would result in significant savings for you, I'm happy to get the occassional "must have" item for you here in the good ole' USA and ship it your way.
I should also point out, JH, that I am lucky enough to be in a decent financial position and so I can't buy it because I have self imposed limitations  :grin: - basically I'm a tight arse  :Party:

Still a very noble gesture.  :notworthy:
Alba gu' brath

ArizonaTank

No matter what book you go with, here is a really good source for military situation maps:

US Military Academy at West Point Korean War Map repository:

https://www.westpoint.edu/academics/academic-departments/history/digital-history-center/atlases/korean-war
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.