Field of Glory - Medieval Competition

Started by Boggit, January 05, 2021, 11:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bardolph

Thank you as well, that was a bloody fight. Some of your guys simply didn't know when to quit. >:(

Yskonyn

Apologies for delays on my end. Will be able to send more often this coming week.  :bd:
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

nelmsm

Does anyone know the best way to fine tune the mouse pointer?  I really struggle with it waving all over the place.

nelmsm

Quote from: nelmsm on March 20, 2021, 10:53:56 AM
Does anyone know the best way to fine tune the mouse pointer?  I really struggle with it waving all over the place.

Found the answer.  Need to turn shadows to off or low.

al_infierno

Finished up the battle with under_score.  It was a clear decisive victory for his forces (German) over mine (Lithuanian).  In fairness, I had no idea what I was really doing with my poor pixel knights, but I played a battle or two in reverse beforehand (using the Germans versus Lithuanians) and thought I had a decent idea of what to do.  Something something, battle plan surviving contact with enemy?  :buck2:

Good game and well played, will try and get my turns in more regularly in the future.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

under_score

Thanks for the game al_infierno, I enjoyed it.

Shelldrake

nelmsm and I just finished our game.

My spear carrying Norwegians routed nelmsm's cavalry-heavy Lithuanian force after Norwegian spearmen turning one flank and huscarls rampaged through a line of skirmishers at the centre. I think that nelmsm's cavalry was handicapped by the small map size that did not give him any room for maneuver and flanking attacks. A different force mix could have changed to outcome. I just got lucky with the pot luck this time!

According to the after action summary, my Norwegians only had a 2-3:1 advantage in killed/wounded. However, almost half the Lithuanian force were listed as captured/deserted. Unit morale clearly plays a huge role in victory or defeat in this game.

Thanks for the game nelmsm!
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Boggit

Gentlemen - to save me trawling through every post and possibly getting your score wrong, can you please keep a log of your score and post it in this format... That way we can set up the winners for round 1 into the division for round two. I hope you're all enjoying the competition.  :)

Scoring is Win =3
               Draw= 2
               Loss =1

e.g.

Division 1

Shelldrake 3,2,1,3,3 (12)
Matt3916   2,3,3,1,2 (11) etc...
Sauron
Nelmsm
Paolo
Yskonyn

Division 2
Tripoli
Bardolph
al_infierno
Grim_Reaper
Gus (TBC)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

al_infierno

I'll update this post when I complete my other games.

al_infierno: 1,1
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Tripoli

Tripoli: 6, with one game outstanding.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Yskonyn

I'll step up my game of returning. Got some tech problems. Should be fixed .
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

al_infierno

- MengJiao

Boggit

Just a note for Paolo and Shelldrake...

Sauron phoned me to say (amongst other things...  ::)) that he has had a serious problem with his computer, which is why he is out of touch. It is now at the repair shop and he expects it to be returned in about a week.

He forwards his apology for the delay, and is eager to return to the fight as soon as he is able.

@Everyone else...

I hope your games are going well and you're having fun. :bd: Any ideas or improvements to running future competitions are gratefully received! It's a learning curve for me too, and I want to be able to organise competitions you really enjoy. O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Shelldrake

Quote from: Boggit on April 22, 2021, 06:47:20 PM

Sauron phoned me to say (amongst other things...  ::)) that he has had a serious problem with his computer, which is why he is out of touch. It is now at the repair shop and he expects it to be returned in about a week.

He forwards his apology for the delay, and is eager to return to the fight as soon as he is able.

Thanks Boggit. My current game with matt is turning into a nail biter. Same with my game with Sauron so looking forward to getting back into it.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Boggit

Quote from: Shelldrake on April 23, 2021, 03:46:11 PM
Quote from: Boggit on April 22, 2021, 06:47:20 PM

Thanks Boggit. My current game with matt is turning into a nail biter. Same with my game with Sauron so looking forward to getting back into it.
No worries!

Sauron hopes that with a bit of luck he'll have his PC back in a few more days.

Glad you're having fun.