Dominions4

Started by parone, June 18, 2013, 01:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faux

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 10, 2013, 02:51:59 PM
One thing I must admit I was wondering about Dom4:

There was never a hint of it coming, even stronger I still remember a discussion about it on the Shrapnel forums where the debs then explicitly told the community that there was no intent at that time to go for Dom4.

Now that they are free of Shrapnel, suddenly rather quickly Dom4 gets shown...
Now I hope they had already been working on Dom 4 secretly and it's not just a quick upgrade to generate some cash.
A year or two making a new game seems short.

But it'll probably be fine. Right?

I very much doubt they make Dominions games for money. Both of the devs have a full-time job and they develop Dominions in their free time.

parone

I think you are right Faux.  it seems to be a labor of love.

that said, Ysk is right, it really did come out of nowhere.  he may be on track that they were waiting for separation from Shrapnel, which seemed to be  an unhappy union.

or, the fact that they don't do it for $$$ may have something to do with it.  no need to hype it up if the goal isn't to sell as many units as possible...

Martok

As far as the game's possible price point is concerned, I'm willing to bet Dom 4 will be much more in the range of most people's wallets at release.  The devs aren't shackled to Shrapnel anymore. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Wingedflamez

I am hoping that the price point is a little softer. I played the demo for a while, and finally bought it when it went to desura because the price dropped. I just couldn't bring my self to pay 70 dollars for it. I love the game and am glad I have it, I just can't spend that kind of money on games, I don't even spend that much on AAA titles in series that I have been playing for years.

Faux

The game is now available for preordering at -15% discount for 21,24 euromoneys. Don't know what that makes it in American dollars. The release date is set to be 31st of August.

Seems quite reasonable.

Edit: forgot to mention it's only on Desura: http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions

JasonPratt

Cool, that's like, what, $9? How cheap is pagan euromoney right now? ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Martok

Quote from: Faux on July 12, 2013, 02:13:02 PM
The game is now available for preordering at -15% discount for 21,24 euromoneys. Don't know what that makes it in American dollars. The release date is set to be 31st of August.

Seems quite reasonable.

Edit: forgot to mention it's only on Desura: http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions
That's $29.74 here across the pond (in between the St. Lawrence and Rio Grande).  ;) 

Not a bad price, I'd say.  At the very least, it's a far better cry than $70.00! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Yskonyn

Instant preorder here, but one thing: this Desura crap doesnt need another application to be installed like Steam does it??
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Huw the Poo

Nope.  Desura has its own client just like Steam, but you can buy games through the website and then download DRM-free files.

Yskonyn

Good! Preordering. Thanks, Huw
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

gp1628

I damn well hope that Dom4 gets on Steam. Otherwise that price is likely to bite Illwinter in the ass.

Nefaro

Quote from: parone on July 10, 2013, 01:36:10 PM
I don't think anyone ever said in-game alliances are wrong/unfair.

I DO think pre-game or game long alliances put other players at a major and unforeseen disadvantage, so I think a case can be made to say that's not particularly fair to other players.

as far as team play in Dom4, I must say, I am curious but pretty darn skeptical.   idea sounds great, and I have A LOT of faith(haha, faith-get it?) in the Devs, but I don't know...

I think pre-game alliances are more preferable to any made in-game.  The latter can do much to alter the balance of things whereas starting off in even teams can regulate that quite a bit. 

It's a good way to go about it IMO.

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 13, 2013, 04:12:20 AM
Instant preorder here, but one thing: this Desura crap doesnt need another application to be installed like Steam does it??

As Huw says.. you can download a DRM-free installer file from their website (in your browser) when logged in and browsing your games.  There is also the option of installing their Steam-like client and d/l'ing it through there if you want, but it's not required.

The best of both worlds, and the way it should be.  ;)

Nefaro

Quote from: gp1628 on July 13, 2013, 10:40:50 AM
I damn well hope that Dom4 gets on Steam. Otherwise that price is likely to bite Illwinter in the ass.

Huh?

They've obviously done well since ditching Shrapnel and slapping a $30 price tag on Dominions 3.  If it's working, why fix it?

gp1628

Actually they havent done that well with the change.
Their other game "Conquest of Elysium 3" has sold more copies than all the Dom's put together. Mostly because it is on Steam.
And both Desura and GamersGate have done very little to promote Dom3. The forums suck, customer support sucks, press releases to gaming sites are non-existent. The only thing either of them have done "for" Dom3 is have some decent sales.

So like I said, I hope Dom4 gets on Steam. For Illwinters sake.