Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Nice setup!

I still need to upgrade to a Thrustmaster Warthog but the danged thing's out of stock everywhere I look.  It's starting to get on my nerves. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Toonces

Although I've never seen a Warthog in the wild, the set up looks like a serious simming rig.  It makes my CH stick and throttle look like toys in comparison.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

I'm thinking about moving on from the warthog and giving the winwing Libra and Taurus a shot...only thing holding me back is the cost. Not cheap.

https://www.winwing.cn/en/JOYSTICK
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

^I'm going to have to seriously consider that one.   

Twice what I want to spend but if it lasts and is a solid product I can probably justify it to myself. 

Cheaper than the European options that are also never in stock.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 11, 2020, 06:51:58 PM
^I'm going to have to seriously consider that one.   

Twice what I want to spend but if it lasts and is a solid product I can probably justify it to myself. 

Cheaper than the European options that are also never in stock.

I'm not super thrilled with the flight ops panel. No flaps, no FCS reset and a few other obvious buttons needed for start up, but they are working on take off and combat ops panels that can be added.

Check out the DCS forum...winwing has its own subforum in the inputs section. Reviews are very positive for the throttle, but I would say only average on the stick. Most seem to prefer the warthog stick.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Skoop

I'm not a fan of plane specific HOTAS.  I'd rather just get a virpil throttle that fits every sim, modern or props.  More buttons, plus there's dials / encoders that can be set to all kinds of usefull stuff.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Pete Dero

Pete Dero

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4393509&postcount=258

In cooperation with our third-party partner Heatblur, a free trial event for the AJS-37 Viggen and the F-14A/B Tomcat will take place between the 19th and the 25th of June. We hope this will give you an opportunity to give these majestic aircraft a try. Sadly this offer is limited to the Eshop version and not available on Steam.

Jarhead0331

Just had my first fratricide incident. It was a real furball. Very crowded sky over a fiercely contested battlefield. I fired a sidewinder at an Su-25 that hit the flares as it crossed in front of an Israeli Apache. The missile missed the frogfoot, tracked and hit the Apache, which went down and was lost.

...that's not all though.  :-[

I was engaged defensive by a mig-29 and dodging AAA like a bat out of hell when I saw two more frogfoots ahead. I thought I locked one up so I fired a 120c. Right after the missile flew off the rail I saw I was actually locked onto my wingman. He tried to avoid it, but it hit him and after the mission I saw that he had been killed.

Man...even though I also scored 4 frogfoots and 2 KA-50s, what a disaster of a mission. I actually feel really uneasy about it. LoL.

Note to self...turn IFF on before going into combat.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mikeck

Pure gold for you P-47 guys. I could listen to this guy for hours.
By the way....at @8:00.....THATS how you win wars and not just battles. Moving into an orchard and less than 48 hours later have a duly operational landing strip complete with taxi-way and all of the fuel and supplies a growing boy needs.
Something at which the US excels.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Lo_irQ9bjzU
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Toonces

So this was filmed in DCS and I don't know that it's been widely seen.  The skills of these guys are pretty impressive.  Check the rendezvous at 4:30...that is seriously good flying.

I've actually flown form in real life and I tell you that it is exponentially harder to do it in a sim because you don't have all the sensory inputs you have in a real plane.  That these guys can pull this off in a sim is seriously awesome.

Edit: I freaking hate the lead's voice in this video, though.  I actually exchanged some messages with Beaker and apparently this is how the modern Blue's leader calls it.

I grew up with the video below, which I find far more appropriate.  Maybe driving the F-4 around bred a different kind of fighter pilot, I dunno.

At about 10:30 the video starts; 23:30 will take you to the actual airshow.  The whole video is pretty awesome, though.

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

hellfish6

DCS is still a hollow sim for me, but this Syria map looks amazing. If only they'd do something like dynamic tasking for helicopters - providing randomized purpose to your flying, like CAS or CASEVAC or lift or CSAR or assault - I'd fall in love in a heartbeat. As it is now, I know I'll buy this, fly it for maybe an hour with my Mi-8, wish there was some substance to it and uninstall until the Hind comes out. And repeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgNdeeu8ApA

Yskonyn

I know what you mean. Cool missions require a lot of work in the editor. They are working on a dynamic campaign module however, but in ED style we dont know much about it.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."