Main Menu

Beers and Friday

Started by Anguille, January 15, 2021, 04:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

al - you are a true gem.  A knowledgeable rogue(like) player.

Any suggestions for a post-apocolypic  rogue(like) game?  Not interested in castle building/defense

al_infierno

I appreciate the kind words!  NEO Scavenger might be up your alley, but I have it on Steam and never actually played it, so I'm not sure how much emphasis there is on base-building.

If Cataclysm doesn't interest you due to the emphasis on needing a shelter/base, but you like a sci fi setting, you might like Cogmind (on Steam).  You basically play as a robot building yourself from components you find and salvage from other robots.  I don't think this one has any base building at all, it's purely a traditional dungeon crawler IIRC.

If Cataclysm doesn't interest you due to the fantastical elements like zombies and monsters, the first thing that comes to mind is Unreal World (also on Steam).  It's not post-apocalyptic, but it's a similar open-world survival sandbox set in Finland in the iron ages.  It has a lot more emphasis on realism and simulationism, but still has the core turn-based WEGO "roguelike" gameplay.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

airboy

I had Unreal World wishlisted.  I just added NEO Scavenger. 

I'll probably pick one of them up within the next six months.

Thanks Al!

W8taminute

Quote from: jamus34 on January 15, 2021, 11:51:29 AM
W8 - i remember a game I think on SNES called Brigandine, not sure if it is related to these two games you reference.

I'll see about checking them out. I usually love old school JRPG / Or strategy JRPGs (Final fantasy tactics, Ogre tactics and the like)

Hmmm...I used to have a SNES but I don't remember Brigandine being on that platform.  But you are correct, this is a modern version of the classic Strategy JRPG such as Final Fantasy Tactics.  This new game is going to kill hundreds of gaming hours for me I predict. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

WYBaugh

Quote from: al_infierno on January 15, 2021, 04:18:30 PM
I appreciate the kind words!  NEO Scavenger might be up your alley, but I have it on Steam and never actually played it, so I'm not sure how much emphasis there is on base-building.

If Cataclysm doesn't interest you due to the emphasis on needing a shelter/base, but you like a sci fi setting, you might like Cogmind (on Steam).  You basically play as a robot building yourself from components you find and salvage from other robots.  I don't think this one has any base building at all, it's purely a traditional dungeon crawler IIRC.

If Cataclysm doesn't interest you due to the fantastical elements like zombies and monsters, the first thing that comes to mind is Unreal World (also on Steam).  It's not post-apocalyptic, but it's a similar open-world survival sandbox set in Finland in the iron ages.  It has a lot more emphasis on realism and simulationism, but still has the core turn-based WEGO "roguelike" gameplay.

I've had cogmind wishlisted for too long.  I need to grab it.

jamus34

Quote from: W8taminute on January 15, 2021, 04:26:51 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on January 15, 2021, 11:51:29 AM
W8 - i remember a game I think on SNES called Brigandine, not sure if it is related to these two games you reference.

I'll see about checking them out. I usually love old school JRPG / Or strategy JRPGs (Final fantasy tactics, Ogre tactics and the like)

Hmmm...I used to have a SNES but I don't remember Brigandine being on that platform.  But you are correct, this is a modern version of the classic Strategy JRPG such as Final Fantasy Tactics.  This new game is going to kill hundreds of gaming hours for me I predict.

You are correct W8, turns out the game I was thinking about was the one you mentioned; I just didn't remember it having the subtitle, I just remembered a game called Brigandine. All good, and I'll have to check it out.
Insert witty comment here.

nelmsm

Just did a few PBEM turns this morning and now about to pack to go to Amarillo for the night.  District Elk meeting this weekend so a chance to meet up with some friends and actually walk up to a bar and order a drink since they carry a food and beverage license at the Amarillo Lodge.  Actually going to give us Martn Luther King Day off this year.  They switched from giving us Presidents Day off, which I always had to work on, to giving us Martin Luther King day.  I figured I'd have to work it as well but corporate offices insisting that everyone take it off.  First spring holiday I've had off in about 20 years.  I'll be playing some PBEM turns then and trying to catch up with household chores.  Been working 12 hour days this last week trying to get seed shipped to South Texas and Mexico where they are starting to plant.  Will be the same next week but they threw in some shipments to South Korea and France just to keep it interesting.