Main Menu

Beers and Friday

Started by Anguille, January 15, 2021, 04:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anguille

Need some of the optimism in this song...

Probably going to continue STAR WARS™ Starfighter™ and some Horizon (one steam achievement left to do).

Wish you all Beers and Sunshine for this weekend....

airboy

Vigilantes and Order of Battle.  And cleaning up the house after the bathroom rennovations.

Yskonyn

As much Escape From Tarkov as I can manage, along with some DCS World.
Probably not too much game time available, though. My wife has weekend shifts and so I am going to have to manage family life by myself this weekend.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Is that the guy from Hootie and the Blow job?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Anguille

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 15, 2021, 08:22:09 AM
Yeah....that's the guy ;)

Gusington

Damn he looks old. Hootie and the Old Fish.

Some more Star Wars Squadrons and Star Wars Battlefront II, and then quickly shifting gears to Panzer Corps 2, Partisans 1941, Wolfenstein: Youngblood (if I can handle all the reported PC-ness) and some Order of Battle.

Then when I can get my arse in gear at some point this weekend - doing a quick preview/screenshot bonanza of something very cool to be released soon - like within a month soon :)

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

These guys were financially brilliant.  They had a huge album while undergrads or just out of college at the University of South Carolina.  One of them was a finance major.  They put back 90% of their money in their own corporation and then invested it.  The proceeds from "Cracked Rear View" (I think that was the album title) literally set them up for life.  As a grad student, I taught the finance kid some marketing class.

They realized the band had no long term future and did not let success go to their heads.  They toured like hell, maximized their cash flow, and had enough money for the rest of their lives before they were 30.

Darius Rucker (the lead singer) had a great voice and switched over to Country Music where he could sing what other people wrote without penalty.  He has continued to be a minor success - and supposedly is easy to get along with which really helps you in the Country Music genre.

Make fun of their music if you wish (it was pleasant pop music - not my thing but Rucker does have a great voice) - but they handled the business end better than about anyone ever did in the era where people bought (instead of stole) music.

We saw them when they were touring like hell about a year and a half after "Hold My Hand" was released because they did a College Tour which came to Auburn that we could see largely for free (considering no travel expense for us).  They did a very professional show, signed autographs, and played the Who's "Can't Explain" as an encore.

MengJiao

Quote from: Yskonyn on January 15, 2021, 08:15:38 AM
As much Escape From Tarkov as I can manage, along with some DCS World.
Probably not too much game time available, though. My wife has weekend shifts and so I am going to have to manage family life by myself this weekend.

Very much the usual: HLL, World of Warships, maybe DCS and some boardgames.

Dammit Carl!

Welp, missed my chance to get Chuck as a commander in World of Tanks by 4 or 5 missions so bleh.  However, got that premium time ticking by, so a tankin' I'll be a doin' fer sure.

Roll out!

(not a shill for Wargaming)

Sir Slash

I am also going through house renovations, kitchen and flooring. So very little gaming. And just when I was making progress on my PoE 2: The Inner Sanctum game.  #:-)  Have a great weekend Grogs, and....Happy MLK Day to all.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 15, 2021, 10:35:59 AM
I am also going through house renovations, kitchen and flooring....

Heh.  My recent "renovations," have all been predicated by shit breaking.  Three weeks into January and I'm eyeball deep in lost $$.  Shoot me.

Anguille

Quote from: airboy on January 15, 2021, 10:05:05 AM

These guys were financially brilliant.  They had a huge album while undergrads or just out of college at the University of South Carolina.  One of them was a finance major.  They put back 90% of their money in their own corporation and then invested it.  The proceeds from "Cracked Rear View" (I think that was the album title) literally set them up for life.  As a grad student, I taught the finance kid some marketing class.

They realized the band had no long term future and did not let success go to their heads.  They toured like hell, maximized their cash flow, and had enough money for the rest of their lives before they were 30.

Darius Rucker (the lead singer) had a great voice and switched over to Country Music where he could sing what other people wrote without penalty.  He has continued to be a minor success - and supposedly is easy to get along with which really helps you in the Country Music genre.

Make fun of their music if you wish (it was pleasant pop music - not my thing but Rucker does have a great voice) - but they handled the business end better than about anyone ever did in the era where people bought (instead of stole) music.

We saw them when they were touring like hell about a year and a half after "Hold My Hand" was released because they did a College Tour which came to Auburn that we could see largely for free (considering no travel expense for us).  They did a very professional show, signed autographs, and played the Who's "Can't Explain" as an encore.
Interesting. They did release a very nice new cd in 2020. I've been listening to his solo stuff a lot during the last 10 years and i really like it (not that i listen to many country artists). One thing that can't be denied is his fantastic voice. I wish i could see him/them life once but i don't think it will happen in my lifetime.

W8taminute

Ah yeaaaaah.   I'll be playing Brigandine: The Legend of Runersia

If any of you remember the old PS1 days there was a game called Brigandine: The Legend of Forsena you will know this was a cult classic.  If you can find a copy of that game it's worth over 300 dollars.

The Legend of Runersia is a faithful update to Forsena and boy is it good.  So for this weekend nothing else matters.

Here's a review: https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2020/12/11/brigandine-legend-runeresia-review-ps4/

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

jamus34

W8 - i remember a game I think on SNES called Brigandine, not sure if it is related to these two games you reference.

I'll see about checking them out. I usually love old school JRPG / Or strategy JRPGs (Final fantasy tactics, Ogre tactics and the like)
Insert witty comment here.

al_infierno

Keeping it going with my recent roguelike habit.  I've given up on Dungeons of Dredmor for now in favor of something with a bit more depth and less overload of junk items.  Made my deepest run in Jupiter Hell before dying because I forgot about the "mana" powers they added to the retail release.  I had a full bar of "mana" sitting around to heal myself and did nothing with it.  Oh well.

I think my favorite roguelike of late is Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, which is a modern-day zombie apocalypse roguelike.  Think turn-based Project Zomboid. 

Unlike most roguelikes there's no actual end-goal.  It's really just a zombie survival sandbox with a robust world generator.  My most recent run I made it 17 days before dying.  I had a nice little campsite in the woods where my R&R was only occasionally interrupted by zombies or mean animals wandering in (though zombies became quite a bit more frequent in the days just before I died).  I went out for what I thought would be a standard supply run, but on my way home with a pack full of food and water, I got ambushed by a mean-as-hell Zapper zombie in the middle of a rainstorm.  The ironically named Slippery Slim (who was actually obese due to me taking the Fast Metabolism trait for extra character points, leading to me eating nonstop) nearly got electrocuted to death, but my holstered Sig .357 with a full magazine saved my butt in a pinch.  Ended up grievously wounded, and due to my reduced carrying capacity I had to drop most of my supplies (including stuff I'd brought to keep my fat-butt fed during during the supply run) so I could shake off all the zombies attracted to the gunshots. 

Against all odds "Slim" managed to slip into an empty house, get himself warm and dry, and rest in a bed until the rain stopped.  By that point he'd become sick due to the injuries and exposure.  When I finally made it back to my tent, I had to spend the next 3 in-game days resting and recovering.  Now was about the time I regretted taking the Imperceptive Healer trait, which gives you a ton of character points at the expense of getting only 1/10 the normal HP recovery through sleeping.  After 3 days resting my supplies were gone and Slim was still sick, but his strength and dexterity were mostly recovered, so despite having very little actual HP he was well enough to go back adventuring again.  So on the morning of that third day, I went straight back to where I left my supplies.

Long story short, apparently all the zombies in the area were having a funeral for that Zapper I shot.  If you've seen those scenes from zombie movies where the protagonist is running away from a swarm of hundreds chasing him through the streets, with every turned corner alerting another new group of zombies - that's what happened, except the protagonist was ill and wounded and things didn't turn out quite so movie-like.  At least he had his Sig on hand with a couple shots left, so he didn't have to get eaten alive in the middle of the street.  Also somewhat ironically, I had two shotguns and thirty shells sitting around in my tent at the time, but both guns were dirty so I was waiting for a chance to clean them before taking them on a supply run.  Whoopsie!

Stamina is the real killer in this game.  You need to maintain enough stamina to get away from fast enemies (or bash em with melee weapons), but if your stamina drops to 0 with any fast or tough baddies nearby, you're good as dead unless you have a contingency up your sleeve for the exact situation you're in.  Between the sickness and mounting wounds I couldn't move very far without my character getting tired - not to mention I got extremely unlucky with an extraordinarily high number of fast enemies right where I'd left my supplies.

To drive home just how insane this game is, here's a screenshot (not mine) of a giant ant battling a dinosaur.

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao