The 2015 Running Football Thread (College & Pro)

Started by bayonetbrant, February 03, 2015, 07:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

I heard it was OSU and TCU and everyone else this year.  What do you make of that?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

OJsDad

I think there is a lot of football to be played before the championship game.  I don't think you can write off any team that makes the final 4. 

I cannot speak to anyone else, but OSU has to win their division before they can think repeat.  That means beating Penn State, Michigan State and Michigan.  MSU and Michigan they play the last two games of the year.  Neither will be an easy one.  Penn State always gives the Buckeyes a hard time.  They went to overtime last year.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

James Franklin is an excellent recruiter.  If he stays, Penn St. is going to be a powerhouse again.  Same with Jim Harbaugh and Michigan.

OJsDad

The couple of Penn State fans I know don't like Franklin very much.  They don't think he'll be very successful.  But I agree with you on him.

If Harbaugh has the success at Michigan that he had at Stanford, then that will be a good thing.  Hopefully Nebraska and Wisconsin can also get things turned around and Minnesota can continue to improve.

Right now, the Big 10 is like the SEC.  The best teams are all in one division.  It'll be interesting to see how that plays out over the next few years. 

MetalDog

You can tell your Penn St. friends to just look at what Franklin did at Vanderbilt.  The records he achieved each year may not be impressive by big boy football standards, but, it's VANDERBILT!  The Stanford of the East!  If Franklin decides he wants PSU to be a powerhouse, Penn State will be a powerhouse.

OJsDad

I agree MD.

So, is the Iron Bowl going to decide the SEC this year, or are there other teams that will be crowned the SEC champs.

How about the ACC and PAC12.  Who are the teams to beat this coming year. 

MetalDog

Florida State, by default, should win the ACC.  Don't know if Clemson can step up.  Be nice if they could.  I despise all the Florida teams.  FSU the least, though.  Pac 12?  No idea.  Oregon?  USC?  Arizona?  Don't hear enough Pac 12 chatter to make an intelligent guess. 

As for the SEC, in the East, Georgia seems to be the pick by people in the know.  I have a hard time ceding the division to them when Mark Richt loses at least one game he shouldn't and Gary Pinkel just coaches the hell out of his talent and has won the last two East titles.  The West?  I've heard arguments for Auburn, Alabama, and Texas A&M.  Arkansas is considered a shoe in to be much better than last year.  No matter who takes the division, it'll be a dog fight.  I think Auburn will.  Alabama has a tough schedule and the D they play may not be able to stop the spread consistently.  And Auburn has a QB/WR duo that should light things up for Malzahn.  Will Muschamp just needs to coach his guys not to give up more than they score and they should be good.

bayonetbrant

FSU lost a lot more than Clemson did, and the police distractions might really screw up their season.

Don't sleep on Georgia Tech.  They've got a very favorable schedule and could easily go 12-1 with wins over UGa and ND, and they'll likely have a rematch vs FSU or Clemson in the title game, since they get both in the regular season, too.

It'll be interesting to see if a 12-1 ACC champ GT team makes it into the playoff, if they get that far.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

I don't see why they shouldn't.  Especially if the one loss is close, to a FSU, or Clemson or ND.  I wish the Power 5 would just do the right thing and go to 4 sixteen team conferences.  That way, we'd have a playoff system built in.  Each of the 4 play a championship game and the winners play each other to determine who plays in the championship.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on July 18, 2015, 04:55:09 PMI wish the Power 5 would just do the right thing and go to 4 sixteen team conferences. 

because the world doesn't revolve around football.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Funniest damn message board comeback I've seen in forever

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces