Next Assassin's Creed Revealed

Started by Jarhead0331, April 30, 2020, 09:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Vikings.

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/assassins-creed/valhalla

I'm sure it will be cool, but I was really hoping for Samurais and ninjas. This game system just cries out for it. It would be much more true to the spirit of the series than Vikings, who aren't really known for sneaking around.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

^I knew you'd be stuck to this like a wet pair of underwear.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JasonPratt

God of War X-2: Assassin's Creed  :D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

There is, btw, an Eastern AssCreed game, but it's part of a trilogy of mobile ports or something like that. AssCreed Chronicles:China
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 30, 2020, 09:29:20 AM
There is, btw, an Eastern AssCreed game, but it's part of a trilogy of mobile ports or something like that. AssCreed Chronicles:China

Totally a waste. Now, a chinese King-Fu version of Assassin's Creed would be pretty cool too.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

Pfft 'underwear'.

I could never get any of those AssCreed China, Russia or India ports to work on my PC.

They just look and run like crap.

I am currently still playing through Odyssey and Origins. Have 60+ hours into both and only about half way done with both.

Very much looking forward to Valhalla. Some of the scenes in that trailer looked to be France and definitely England. Would be great if they covered far flung places like Russia and Byzantium too.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

hellfish6

I was kinda meh about Odyssey (nothing really felt unique in the game - every town looked like any other, all the fighting was repetitive), but I really loved Origins. Looking forward to this.

JasonPratt

Apparently posting the video code == "message body was left empty", so...  ::)

glen55

Quote from: Gusington on April 30, 2020, 11:07:13 AM
Pfft 'underwear'.

I could never get any of those AssCreed China, Russia or India ports to work on my PC.

They just look and run like crap.

I am currently still playing through Odyssey and Origins. Have 60+ hours into both and only about half way done with both.

Very much looking forward to Valhalla. Some of the scenes in that trailer looked to be France and definitely England. Would be great if they covered far flung places like Russia and Byzantium too.

England is supposedly where it's mainly set. It starts in Norway, but you are forced to flee in your longboats for some reason. You fetch up in England and get a settlement to upgrade. I think this one is supposed to be a little more land-based than Odyssey, but you still get plenty of longboat action.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Gusington

A far flung locale like Russia or Byzantium would be a big ask, I realize...but it would be SO COOL.

Like a Varangian Guard DLC or somesuch.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on May 02, 2020, 12:20:47 PM
Like a Varangian Guard DLC or somesuch.

Considering the overarching plotline, plus the increasingly strong architectural focus, I would not be surprised at all if Constantinople is on the menu eventually.

al_infierno

I was never really an AC fan.  Aside from the first game, I've only played Revelations, which admittedly gave me an unfair impression of the series as a whole.

But when I see this announcement, I just have to ask myself:  Why?  The naval mechanics of the later games seemed quite interesting, but beyond that each of these games looks like a carbon copy of the last with new costumes, skins, and historical flavor plastered on.

And now they're going with fucking vikings of all things?  Just.... Why?  Did somebody ask for this?  Is there some untapped niche of "sneaky ninja/assassin game, but vikings" I'm unaware of?  Of all the different historical settings and concepts they could have explored, they managed to choose one that feels both wholly unfitting and "been there done that" at the same time.  Baffling.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

Historical flavor counts for a lot. And I've had a total blast with the naval aspects of Black Flag, Odyssey and Origins.

Try Black Flag. I never had an interest in pirates but that game ignited it for me. Same for Greek history and myths.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

I get that appeal of the series, for sure.  And I have been tempted on multiple occasions to pick up Black Flag due to both the subject matter and the fact that your crews actually sing maritime songs.   :smitten:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao