Author Topic: Falling Frontier - upcoming space RTS  (Read 921 times)

Offline Yskonyn

• Global Moderator
  • Landsknecht
  • The Flying Dutchman
    • Visit my blog: Yassy HQ for various things combat simulation.
Re: Falling Frontier - upcoming space RTS
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2021, 02:36:22 PM »
I'm currently playing High Frontier - a board game based on hard science - take a look at the map for it - https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2585121/high-frontier-third-edition a 2d representation of the solar system with "distances" shown by a mix of orbits/energy required to get there - a work of art (or science) by a real rocket scientist. What I guess I'm saying is that this stuff can be abstracted to a large degree whilst still remaining realistic, at least in game terms.
I'll be following this one.

Another HF player here! Excellent game!
I have no comments on the actual topic, sorry.  ;D
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore.

Offline hellfish6

• Equites
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2021, 05:04:50 PM »

Offline bobarossa

• Viking
  • Master of Oreos
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2021, 08:24:02 PM »
take a look at the map for it - https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2585121/high-frontier-third-edition

Holy mother of god...
That map must have all 150 million of those rocks in the asteroid belt on it.

Offline ExWargamerJoe

• Viking
    • PCGamesN
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2021, 03:52:08 AM »
I'm also very much looking forward to this one. Been in touch with the devs about it.
Section Editor (Strategy)
PCGamesN

Former editor of The Wargamer & Strategy Gamer

"Determining the appropriate level of interference in somebody else's war is never a simple matter." - Special Circumstances

Offline Phantom

• Equites
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2021, 10:01:13 AM »
take a look at the map for it - https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2585121/high-frontier-third-edition

Holy mother of god...
That map must have all 150 million of those rocks in the asteroid belt on it.

The map is a peach, but what is most impressive is how it works, somehow the designer - Phil Eklund - has managed to combine a 3 dimensional system of orbits & gravity, by definition in constant movement, into a 2d static map that actually reflects that complex environment. Its really clever stuff, in fact, rocket science! Believe it or not once you've got the mechanics worked out its quite easy to use.
I love smart design in games, making the complex simple, and this is a great example.

Offline FarAway Sooner

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2021, 08:43:45 PM »
Regarding the asteroid belt:  Maybe we should just call it 'crunchy sci-fi' rather than hard sci-fi?  Because, you know, it's hard in places...