Main Menu

ARMA 4 Leaked?

Started by Jarhead0331, January 09, 2021, 10:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Someone has leaked images of a project from Bohemia called Arma Reforger...looks like this title, whatever it is, is going back to the cold war. Some are suggesting this could be ARMA 4, but personally, this doesn't look like that to me at all. Looks more like a DLC or some kind of a spin off.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/kqfs69/arma_reforger_arma_4/

In any event...more ARMA is always a good thing.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Apocalypse 31

This MIGHT just be screens and videos from the new DLC that is expected to release this year.

al_infierno

Definitely looks like a DLC or spinoff based on the current engine, but cool news nonetheless.  Can't wait to put this on my hard drive and never play it.  O0
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on January 09, 2021, 10:22:48 PM
This MIGHT just be screens and videos from the new DLC that is expected to release this year.

Yup. That's where I'd put my money too.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Apocalypse 31

Quote from Reddit. I don't know how much water this holds...

QuoteIn these tweets he says it's multiplayer only and coming to PC and Xbox (Edit: and PS5) so I don't think this is Arma 4, I think it's a spin-off multiplayer only game to experiment with the new engine they have while they work on the actual Arma 4.

This is really sad.

1. We don't need anymore multiplayer only games. We have at least half a dozen, with more coming. They're all beautiful, and at the same time extremely frustrating and disappointing.
Squad, Post Scriptum, Red Orchestra, Hell Let Loose, Rising Storm, War Thunder, etc...

2. I hate multiplayer only games - they all feel cheap and lack creativity, and are usually dead after a year or two.

As if the developers thought: "lets build maps, and guns, and the players will do the rest".
But the players don't do the rest and it becomes something awful.

It feels like the days of having a solid Single Player or COOP experience are gone.
There are no more story-driven campaigns
No more single player content
Games just feel lifeless.

SirAndrewD

Yeah, looks like Arma 3 to me. 

Honestly happy if they do a REFORGER based game that takes us back to the heyday of Operation Flashpoint.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

hellfish6

My squirrels suggest this is a bit more of a tech demo related to the MP aspects of their new game engine and not intended to be a full release. The idea is to get the MP chunk mature before incorporating it into the rest of the engine.

fran

Quote from: al_infierno on January 09, 2021, 10:23:32 PM
Definitely looks like a DLC or spinoff based on the current engine, but cool news nonetheless.  Can't wait to put this on my hard drive and never play it.  O0

🤣 Me in a nutshell

Zulu1966

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on January 09, 2021, 10:30:06 PM
Quote from Reddit. I don't know how much water this holds...

QuoteIn these tweets he says it's multiplayer only and coming to PC and Xbox (Edit: and PS5) so I don't think this is Arma 4, I think it's a spin-off multiplayer only game to experiment with the new engine they have while they work on the actual Arma 4.

This is really sad.

1. We don't need anymore multiplayer only games. We have at least half a dozen, with more coming. They're all beautiful, and at the same time extremely frustrating and disappointing.
Squad, Post Scriptum, Red Orchestra, Hell Let Loose, Rising Storm, War Thunder, etc...

2. I hate multiplayer only games - they all feel cheap and lack creativity, and are usually dead after a year or two.

As if the developers thought: "lets build maps, and guns, and the players will do the rest".
But the players don't do the rest and it becomes something awful.

It feels like the days of having a solid Single Player or COOP experience are gone.
There are no more story-driven campaigns
No more single player content
Games just feel lifeless.

Yep have to agree. If they ever created a multiplayer only game that people truly played as if in combat I dont think I would play anything else. But even the famed squad comes nowhere near it. They are good to blow off some steam and frag people but always leaving me feeling disappointed they are not more.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Redwolf

Reforger FTW, but please have a single player campaign.

Skoop

Thing with squad and post scriptum is they don't even have bot mode so you can use all the equipment and game mechanics to practice against AI.  They've got that firing range map, but that's stupid.  I want bots to practice on cause that's usually the complaint is noobs don't know what their doing in game then quit and play something else.

With arma there's already a ton of Cold War mods and SP missions and campaigns from the community.  Having official dlc will have even more sp missions and campaigns added to the sandbox.  At least arma has programmed AI for SP.

Father Ted

Quote from: Zulu1966 on January 10, 2021, 02:52:57 PM
If they ever created a multiplayer only game that people truly played as if in combat I dont think I would play anything else. But even the famed squad comes nowhere near it. They are good to blow off some steam and frag people but always leaving me feeling disappointed they are not more.

Sounds like what you want to do is join a squad/clan.  All of these games need a high degree of role-play to get close to a "realistic" experience and there are communities out there who take the whole milsim bit very seriously.  Playing with and against actual people who all buy into the concept is much, much better than SP, and much better than coop against bots.  But you're really only going to get that by playing with and against a bunch of like-minded people.

You can't really blame the games themselves for not delivering this experience - they can't reproduce the fear of death/injury/discipline which is part of the behaviour-drivers in the real world.

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Father Ted on January 10, 2021, 05:29:59 PM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on January 10, 2021, 02:52:57 PM
If they ever created a multiplayer only game that people truly played as if in combat I dont think I would play anything else. But even the famed squad comes nowhere near it. They are good to blow off some steam and frag people but always leaving me feeling disappointed they are not more.

Sounds like what you want to do is join a squad/clan.  All of these games need a high degree of role-play to get close to a "realistic" experience and there are communities out there who take the whole milsim bit very seriously.  Playing with and against actual people who all buy into the concept is much, much better than SP, and much better than coop against bots.  But you're really only going to get that by playing with and against a bunch of like-minded people.

You can't really blame the games themselves for not delivering this experience - they can't reproduce the fear of death/injury/discipline which is part of the behaviour-drivers in the real world.

I think this is fair-

Public lobby H2H isn't fun, but I could see how this could be a fun experience in a controlled environment.

HoodedHorseJoe

Yeah, my instinct was that it wasn't ArmA 4. Apart from maybe the very first game, all mainline ArmA games have been modern or post-modern. I don't see why they'd change that for ArmA 4 because modern-setting sim games are still very popular.

Seems perfect cannon fodder for either a spin-off game or some DLC though - ArmA 3 already has two Cold War 'Creator' DLCS made by third parties that are basically cold war mods.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

MengJiao

Quote from: Father Ted on January 10, 2021, 05:29:59 PM

I play a fair amount of HLL.  I do miss not having bots to at least practice with.  On the other hand -- while you don't have any "real" fear of death/injury/discipline you do have people using wall-hacks to miss you 9000 times because you happen to be behind the wall in question and you do have people wailing on the squad channel "How do I keep from drowning!"  Oh the humanity.  And then you get sniped while getting blown up by artillery that you pray might accidently hit the sniper.  And I did this all so I could get a cool hat for my in-game-dude...who even for a paperdoll looks a little characterless.