Ever wonder what happened to AGEOD? Great interview!

Started by Tanaka, December 20, 2021, 11:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emir Agic

Too bad they split apart. I really liked look, feel and mechanics of most Ageod games. They just needed to improve and polish their Adaptive Game Engine (AGE) regarding turn speed, multiplayer and better implementation of some rules. Instead, Philippe Thibaut moved to SGS and Philippe Malacher (aka Pocus) introduced completely new engine not much similar to previous one. Although there was positive reception of Empires, the first (and only) game developed on new engine, I have never managed to love it as much as their older games. Look, feel and scope was radically different from previous games and I simply lost the interest.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Sad to see them gone.  Although some of their titles frustrated me beyond belief I really did like the concept and engine. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Tanaka

Quote from: Emir Agic on December 21, 2021, 02:32:56 AM
Too bad they split apart. I really liked look, feel and mechanics of most Ageod games. They just needed to improve and polish their Adaptive Game Engine (AGE) regarding turn speed, multiplayer and better implementation of some rules. Instead, Philippe Thibaut moved to SGS and Philippe Malacher (aka Pocus) introduced completely new engine not much similar to previous one. Although there was positive reception of Empires, the first (and only) game developed on new engine, I have never managed to love it as much as their older games. Look, feel and scope was radically different from previous games and I simply lost the interest.

I too love the old Ageod games and the time period these games portray as frustrating as they are. But I also like FOG Empires a lot and feel those things you said needed improvement were improved in FOG Empires. But yes the look and feel is very different. I think Pocus did a great job considering all things and the small team. And I am really looking forward to the upcoming FOG Medieval game...

With the new SGS titles I also love the historical periods presented but feel the AI is very weak and that is where the loss of Pocus comes in. SGS games are better for PBEM than single player it feels like to me. Like the Decisive Campaign series the SGS series has introduced playing cards. People either love or hate card decisions in games. I'm not a big fan of ultimate randomness in my games (where every turn and battle can be something completely different every time you reload) (Ageod and SGS games have very high randomness) I like to turn off dice/card rolls if available because I prefer consistency so I am not a huge fan of the cards.

Check out the games: https://strategygamestudio.com/

Sparhawk

demjansk1942

I would love to play the Russian Revolution game, just finished a book by Sean McMeekin 2017 called the same name but I is tough

Gusington

^Sean McKeekin is prolific in the Russian history field, I've got 4-5 books by him on Russian pre-war (WWI) history, the Russian Revolution and on into the 1930s.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

demjansk1942

Yes, I read his ww1 book and liked the way he wrote, he has other books?  I'll look in my library

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Boggit

Don't forget that Philippe Thibaut is a very active and original game designer and I hope he will do well with SGS. He is also very good friends and in touch from time to time with the talented Philippe Malacher, so I hope at some stage we will see a new AGEOD style golden age!
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat