Afrika Korps by SGS

Started by Boggit, October 31, 2020, 03:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boggit

It's due out on 12th November and it looks rather interesting. They also do a Winter War game as well.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1266640/SGS_Afrika_Korps/
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

CJReich46

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 12, 2020, 07:47:34 PM
Waiting on comments.  :notworthy:

I like it, but then I will play almost anything with Tobruk in it.  Naturally, I like it better than their Winter War -- but that was definitely a good game and anyway for 20 bucks -- how can you go wrong?

Okay....well you can go wrong.  I even tried last summer in writing some games in the system (WAW wars across the world) that underlies this game and well when things go bad it all turns French and I took Crete ( a mistake somewhere there since I thought Greece held Crete in 1940 and I'm the Imperial forces with Commonwealth assistance) and I hit "Le Niveau de Reddition" which might be French for Level of Perdition...but anyway there are some serious bugs in Operation E.

Sir Slash

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 12, 2020, 11:01:10 PM
OK. So, 50/50?

It seems okay.  Winter War had odd bugs too, but they got fixed pretty fast. 

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on November 13, 2020, 06:34:45 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on November 12, 2020, 11:01:10 PM
OK. So, 50/50?

It seems okay.  Winter War had odd bugs too, but they got fixed pretty fast.

And...outside of le niveau de chaos in Operation E's gratuitiously slaughtering the Italians on Crete...the game has a certain creapy charm as when "Churchill's Meddling" seems to have dropped the Afrika down a rabbit hole rather than having much impact on Imperial Forces and their Commonwealth allies:

Sir Slash

88mmkwk

Meng - Is the "Operation E" situation you describe a scenario bug and something that can easily be fixed?  Or symptom of a larger problem?

I'm really tempted to get this game, but have not played the Finland campaign from the same engine and so don't know alot about it.

Despite what you wrote about Operation E, do you find the game fun and enjoyable?  Does cardplay enhance the experience or do the cards dominate what happens?  Give me a little more good news on it and it will likely push me over the edge to buy it....
Gaming Rig:
HP Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop w/Pen Support
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz w/16GB RAM
HP Omen Thunderbolt 3 External GPU/Storage Chassis with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti and 1TB SSD
27" Dell S2716DG 144Hz 1440p with GSync at 2560x1440

-----------------------------------
"Still here and alive. On kindlenso thisnwill be short.  Of wtf.
Day 3 to.borrow.  weather is bad.  Had first fall; good call on gloves.  Heavy rain tomorrow.ngut check.  Inshall prevail.  Jesus thisnisnworse than a drunk post.  F you kindle."        - Toonces

Geezer

Here is a "first look" from thehistoricalgamer:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y07wP_Y8Tr4&t=701s

There are other videos up on Youtube.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

MengJiao

Quote from: 88mmkwk on November 13, 2020, 02:19:04 PM
Meng - Is the "Operation E" situation you describe a scenario bug and something that can easily be fixed?  Or symptom of a larger problem?

I'm really tempted to get this game, but have not played the Finland campaign from the same engine and so don't know alot about it.

Despite what you wrote about Operation E, do you find the game fun and enjoyable?  Does cardplay enhance the experience or do the cards dominate what happens?  Give me a little more good news on it and it will likely push me over the edge to buy it....

My sense of the Operation E problem is based on working with the base engine (the WAW engine based in turn on Unity)...which can produce seemingly amazing bugs out of simple gaps in the interaction of the cards that are easy to fix.  So two things -- don't play Operation E until they fix the bug and two -- the problem should be easy to fix once they look into it.
  I'd hate to push you over the edge since I've only played it a bit, I will say, having played winter war a lot, that the system is basically sound but it can be pretty irritating because the whole point of the cards is to "Change" (I would say "twist") history...moreover the twists and changes don't only not always make much logical sense, but all the possible interactions really can't be traced even as they happen in the game.  So in this game I'm playing now, the Germans have taken Greece more or less on schedule, but I might still have to send 3 brigades there (or maybe not since the interactions are not tracked consistantly).

Boggit

Quote from: 88mmkwk on November 13, 2020, 02:19:04 PM

I'm waiting for confirmation from MC, but he may well need an opponent.

If you wish to sign up you'll get a free copy of the game as a competitor with the chance to win a game of your choice from Avalon Digital's portfolio.

Let me know if you're in ASAP on the sign up thread as I'm requesting the confirmed players Steam codes today. I hope any stragglers to the competition will then get their codes within the next couple of days.

FWIW, I've played a couple of scenarios and I'm of the opinion that it is fun and enjoyable. My main gripe is the lack of a grand campaign, but who knows that may (or may not) make an appearance in a future update.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

@Mengjiao and 88mm

The good news is that Philippe Thibaut and Kevin Buster (both of Avalon Digital) may be soon engaging with the thread once the competition gets started and that will be a perfect opportunity to raise any questions/concerns with the game engine bugs etc. I have been in contact with both for several years now and they are both nice guys, very approachable and will listen to constructive criticism.