What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

Almost halfway through The Fellowship of the Ring.  The four hobbits have just arrived at Bree. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

Greybriar what do you think of I Am Legend? I read it about 20 years ago and it has remained one of my favorite books.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

Quote from: Martok on July 26, 2012, 08:58:28 AM
Almost halfway through The Fellowship of the Ring.  The four hobbits have just arrived at Bree.

Ah, the Prancing Pony. Makes me want to start reading it again.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

LongBlade

I am approaching the last fifth of Walter J. Boyne's Clash of Wings.

It is perhaps the best single-volume read on WWII that I have yet found. Focused more on the air war than on the ground way, it is still an amazingly great and easy read about WWII. Absolutely phenomenal.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Grimnirsson

I'm in the end part of Descent of Angels, one of the Horus Heresy Warhammer books - just love these novels  :)
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

W8taminute

^Grimnirsson I just finished that book a couple of weeks ago.  I agree, I love the series too!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Shelldrake

Quote from: Greybriar on July 26, 2012, 05:39:09 AM
I am Legend by Richard Matheson.

Great story. The movie would have been so much better if they had stayed with the original storyline.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

bob48

Just started 'Panzers in Normandy' by S.W.Mitcham, although the book is really centred around Gen Hans Eberbach and his conduct in the campaign. Interesting read so far.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Greybriar

Quote from: Gusington on July 26, 2012, 09:07:11 AM
Greybriar what do you think of I Am Legend? I read it about 20 years ago and it has remained one of my favorite books.

Like Shelldrake posted, it's a great story. The short stories included are excellent as well--I remember watching the screen version of Prey on The Twilight Zone many years ago.  I liked the book so well that I plan on reading Noir next. Noir is a trilogy consisting of Someone Is Bleeding, Fury on Sunday, and Ride the Nightmare.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Gusington

Wow I never even heard of Noir...thanks GB.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Greybriar

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

eyebiter

Three new books to read this weekend

First clash : combat close-up in World War Three

The U-boat century : German submarine warfare, 1906-2006

Zombies are us : essays on the humanity of the walking dead

Staggerwing

Quote from: eyebiter on July 27, 2012, 05:08:11 PM

The U-boat century : German submarine warfare, 1906-2006 (!)

You tellin' me there are still Type XXI Elektrobooten prowling around the sealanes? Someone should get one of those Enigma machines out of a museum and send 'em a flash about VE Day...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

^That sub title sounds awesome. I also didn't know the Germans still have some subs out there. Crafty SOBs.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

QuoteFirst clash : combat close-up in World War Three

IIRC that one focuses on the Canadians?
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.