What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelgrave

Quote from: Bison on December 11, 2012, 04:31:14 PM
Once an Eagle by Anton Myrer

That's an old favorite and I have a well-read copy on my bookshelf. It was also a mini-series in the 70's starring Sam Elliot.  I don't know if it's available, but it is definitely worth watching.

Actually, I just checked....you can pick up the DVD on Amazon for under $10.00. I'm going to grab it myself.

Bison

I haven't read it yet so I'm hesistant to watch it first.

Martok

I finally finished The Silmarillion, and have now started reading The Callahan Chronicles by Spider Robinson. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

besilarius

Spider Robinson was great.  He could have walked into Callahan's and been a regular customer.
I think he used to attend a lot of the East Coast Sci Fi Conventions.  If you didn't know who he was, his stories made for a great evening.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Shelldrake

I am working my way through David Weber's Empire from the Ashes trilogy. A light read but an entertaining space opera.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Greybriar

Quote from: GroggyGrognard on December 10, 2012, 02:07:30 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on December 07, 2012, 06:49:09 AM
I am currently reading The Wandering Fire, the second book of The Fionawar Tapestry trilogy by Guy Gavriel Kay.

My father read this trilogy years and years ago; he thoroughly enjoyed it. I haven't gotten to it, yet. I read Kay's Tigana some years back. Great fantasy book.

Groggy

Thanks for the tip about Tigana. I finished The Wandering Fire and am reading The Darkest Road now (it is the third book in the trilogy). I will read Tigana next.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Longdan

"Vanished Kingdoms" by Norman Davies.  A history of many of the now vanished
kingdoms of Europe..like Savoy, Burgundy etc.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

Gusington

I am a little nervous to admit this but I did not enjoy Guns of August much. I slogged through the first half and it was a slow read except for the chapters specifically about the German invasion of Belgium. The second half I skimmed to the end. It was dense, and difficult to read. I know it's like a holy canon in the field but I thought it was going to be so much better. And I am disappointed in myself that I was disappointed in the book :/

Oh well. At least it helped me get over my WWI fixation for now and I am moving on to this:

http://www.amazon.com/Something-Red-Novel-Douglas-Nicholas/dp/1451660073/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1356152017&sr=1-1&keywords=something+red

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

That Something Red sounds pretty good, Gus.  Let us know what you think.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

Definitely. I've added it to my wish list whilst awaiting a pithy critique from Gus.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Gusington on December 21, 2012, 11:54:53 PM
I am a little nervous to admit this but I did not enjoy Guns of August much. I slogged through the first half and it was a slow read except for the chapters specifically about the German invasion of Belgium. The second half I skimmed to the end. It was dense, and difficult to read. I know it's like a holy canon in the field but I thought it was going to be so much better. And I am disappointed in myself that I was disappointed in the book :/

Oh well. At least it helped me get over my WWI fixation for now and I am moving on to this:

http://www.amazon.com/Something-Red-Novel-Douglas-Nicholas/dp/1451660073/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1356152017&sr=1-1&keywords=something+red

Maybe too late to suggest, but I listened to Guns of August on audiobook and it was fascinating.

Gusington

Who read it on the audio book? Glad to see you posting and that you have some form of web access still!

About 12 pages in on Something Red...can't judge yet.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

eyebiter

Troubled Water - Race, Mutiny, and Bravery on the USS Kittyhawk

October 12, 1972 during Operation Linebacker there was an "incident" on board the carrier. A race riot by a mob of black sailors randomly attacking white crewman.

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Gusington on December 22, 2012, 05:06:19 PM
Who read it on the audio book? Glad to see you posting and that you have some form of web access still!

Yeah, there's a contractor on our FOB that offers wireless internet.  It's pricey and slow but it lets me skype with the wif and kids and post here  :)

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd