Star Wars: X-Wing

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, July 12, 2015, 10:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: LongBlade on August 12, 2015, 09:33:11 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 12, 2015, 06:41:47 AM
I have to buy a storage case for all this crap before I even take some of my ships out of the packaging. Too many loose pieces and I don't want to risk anything breaking in a hard plastic case like the Plano that I currently have. So I gotta wait a little while.

Before you go out and spend a bucketload on new cases try this for your planos: get some of that spongy material used to line cabinets for dinnerware and such.

http://www.amazon.com/Con-Tact-Premium-Non-Adhesive-Non-Slip-12-Inches/dp/B001AH8PLI/

Trim it to fit the top and bottom of the case. Sides, too, if you're really OCD. If you're really serious spray some contact glue on the plano before you put it down so it will stick.

That should protect your minis and save you a few bucks on cases.

I use that stuff in some of my boardgames that have minis. 

Usually line the inside of the box, or the part which holds them.  But it can also be wrapped around bags or other containers of minis for the same effect.

That rubberized non-slip stuff isn't super cheap but probably a less painful option than buying big 3rd party cases and screwing with all that stuff.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Sorry to hear about your Tantive BC.  I think it might be a defect in your model as mine fits on the stands without any issues or imbalances.

BanzaiCat

I can live with it. If I can figure out how to put a weight under the base, that might work fine.

Have you used yours in battle yet, SDR?

Silent Disapproval Robot

Nope.  It's been Armada for the last couple of sessions.

LongBlade

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 12, 2015, 03:51:40 PM

Once I played Armada I quit dreaming of X-Wing. Don't have either, but I'd rather play Armada given the choice.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

BanzaiCat

I've already invested a lot in X-Wing minis, so I'll stick with that for now.

Might eventually buy the Armada core set, but that'll be a while.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: LongBlade on August 12, 2015, 04:27:41 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 12, 2015, 03:51:40 PM

Once I played Armada I quit dreaming of X-Wing. Don't have either, but I'd rather play Armada given the choice.

What I like about X-Wing is that it offers up the choice of "Epic" play which lets you basically set up the playing area and forces however you like.  Armada doesn't allow for that currently.  Hopefully things will change with the release of Wave 2 minis for Armada.

I like the scale of Armada and I find the rules require a bit more planning and forethought than X-Wing but what really dislike about Armada is how the game is being played by much of the player base. The rules as they currently stand don't offer a lot of choice when it comes to the playing area.  6'x3' mat with a 4'x'3 setup zone and it's required to use the 6 obstacles every time.  I find that rather than just playing a fun game of Star Wars ship combat, too many players are just going through every single card combination and min/maxing their fleet builds to take advantage of some rules ambiguities and play balance issues.  More often than not, it seems to end in rules lawyering and finger-pointing.  This was on display frequently last week at the Armada tournament at one of the FLGS's.  They're having an X-Wing tournament this weekend but I think I'm going to skip it. 

Silent Disapproval Robot

This happened....

Damn it, my foam carrying case can't accommodate firepower of this magnitude!

mirth

^ I hate you for posting that
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Staggerwing

You guys need some kind of beer & strippers intervention or something.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bison

I think that thing runs like $100.

Silent Disapproval Robot

$68.99 USD at CoolStuffInc
Quote from: Staggerwing on August 12, 2015, 08:19:58 PM
You guys need some kind of beer & strippers intervention or something.

It was beer that facilitated this purchase.  Booze and checking Amazon daily deals at 4am on a slow night shift are the reasons I can never retire.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: LongBlade on August 12, 2015, 04:27:41 PM

thats because you already have the pajamas to play it in.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

BanzaiCat

So I got a nice check in the mail yesterday from family for my upcoming b-day...and of course I'm already hiding it from the wife and thinking of ways I can blow it in no time.  :D

This is one thing I've had my eye on and what I discussed earlier in this thread:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PW7TB4C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2VGQWFS5D0MOF

$69.99 (huhuhuhuhuhuh...69) and free shipping. It will hold the monster Tantive IV and the Rebel Transport as well as 25 other smaller ships. Only problem is there's no place for my Falcon, Slave-I, or Decimator. Which kinda blows. Of course trays for those ships are all sold separately, but they do sell individual foam trays for about $10 each, or for a bit cheaper I can just get a foam block and carve it out myself (and probably screw it up badly).

I could save it I suppose...and I'll probably end up doing that. I need a new computer and I really don't want an el cheapo all-in-one if I can avoid it. First world problems I suppose.

SDR: That's the Imperial Raider, is it not? I'm jealous...that sucker is $80 but at least it comes with a TIE Advanced too.  :o