We have a release date! Baldur's Gate III

Started by CJReich46, September 11, 2020, 01:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamus34

I agree Pete, and the Ars first look seemed...biased for some reason.

I looked at Jim's review history and it has literally 1 other game in the year of history I checked...Wasteland 3.

I take the review with a pretty big grain of salt and I feel like Larian will fix a number of the issues (I imagine balance concerns is a big issue causing some of the major gripes)
Insert witty comment here.

al_infierno

The whole "passing dialogue checks results in worse options; failing results in good options" thing sounds awful.  The example in that article doesn't even make sense.  You pass an intelligence check, so the mindflayer starts taking you over - but if you fail, you're totally fine?  What?  Shouldn't it be the other way around?  That seems like it's gotta be a glitch, but it sounds like it's baked into the encounter.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

jamus34

Quote from: al_infierno on October 06, 2020, 01:28:50 PM
The whole "passing dialogue checks results in worse options; failing results in good options" thing sounds awful.  The example in that article doesn't even make sense.  You pass an intelligence check, so the mindflayer starts taking you over - but if you fail, you're totally fine?  What?  Shouldn't it be the other way around?  That seems like it's gotta be a glitch, but it sounds like it's baked into the encounter.

If you look closely at the choices it seems like you have a chance to walk away in that encounter but the author purposely kept up the path of death.

Kinda like the game that tells you multiple times to not touch a button and then you go and press it anyway.
Insert witty comment here.

al_infierno

Quote from: jamus34 on October 06, 2020, 02:21:13 PM
Quote from: al_infierno on October 06, 2020, 01:28:50 PM

If you look closely at the choices it seems like you have a chance to walk away in that encounter but the author purposely kept up the path of death.

Kinda like the game that tells you multiple times to not touch a button and then you go and press it anyway.

I get that aspect of the design philosophy, I just don't like how they executed it.  Why would failing an intelligence check save you from an enemy who attacks you with mind control?  Shouldn't lower intelligence make you more susceptible to mental attacks, not less?  I can understand passing a skill check not automatically being a good thing, but I'd expect to see more logical consistency in what's being checked and how that affects the result.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

AchillesLastStand

It appears{?} to have some of the same battle mechanics from Original Sin 1/2, exploding barrels, using the environment etc which least to me have no business in a BG title. Will pass for now.

Yskonyn

Quote from: AchillesLastStand on October 07, 2020, 12:52:17 AM
It appears{?} to have some of the same battle mechanics from Original Sin 1/2, exploding barrels, using the environment etc which least to me have no business in a BG title. Will pass for now.

Yes that's confirmed. It lends many mechanics from Original Sin / 2 and has DnD 5E rules attached to them.
I am not sure 5E is a good fit for computer games. The whole idea with 5E was to return back to storytelling and get rid of the tech / crunch bloat, 3.5 'suffered' from. But I think the more technical rules of 3.5 makes it excellent for translation into a videogame.

Anyway. I don't see why the physics mechanics as seen Divinity couldn't have its place in a BG game? It makes combat pretty interesting and tactical.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

LoganismyHERO

I really wanted this game, but after reading SOME constructive well laid out reviews online and Steam (there are some actually) this game is a pass for me. I'll pick it up in 2023 in the bargain pin

Rayfer

Quote from: LoganismyHERO on October 07, 2020, 09:36:41 AM
I really wanted this game, but after reading SOME constructive well laid out reviews online and Steam (there are some actually) this game is a pass for me. I'll pick it up in 2023 in the bargain pin

+1  I loved 1 and 2 but this will await a future sale for under $10.00

Tpek

For me, the problem with the game on Steam is that Valve decided to charge us in Israel $80 (USD, not AUD or CAD or such), $20 more than the standard price.

I've had it with these racist regional pricing.
I have to pay 33% more so someone else in the world can receive it for free?!

Ubercat

Quote from: Tpek on October 11, 2020, 05:05:52 PM
For me, the problem with the game on Steam is that Valve decided to charge us in Israel $80 (USD, not AUD or CAD or such), $20 more than the standard price.

Is that routine? Do you pay significantly more for a lot of games that only need to be D/L'd?
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Tpek

Quote from: Ubercat on October 11, 2020, 06:07:10 PM
Quote from: Tpek on October 11, 2020, 05:05:52 PM

Is that routine? Do you pay significantly more for a lot of games that only need to be D/L'd?

Sadly, on places like Steam, I do.
When Electronic Arts came back to Steam, Jedi Fallen Order had over 80% price markup for Israelis (no joke, having to pay almost twice as much as we should).

Epic and GOG were generally more fair in their regional pricing.
Valve just loves to pander heavily to the Chinese and Russians so they need people to fund those subsidies.