Homeworld 1&2 Remastered on Gog

Started by DoctorQuest, June 07, 2016, 08:28:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

The problem I have with all these homeworld mods is that they don't take advantage of the new remastered improvements. The modders are stuck in the past either because of tools or perhaps that they are building on top of lostech they don't understand... I don't know. But it is only very slowly that mods are being converted but my understanding is that most are not bothering. Because steams remastered install also includes the original classic installs.
I would love to play HW mods but love the remastered graphics too much.

Did anybody else here like Netflix's "The Expanse" ? The gunship looks to my eyes similar to some homeworld ships...

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 13, 2017, 09:50:55 AM
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398406822

This came out today or yesterday - apparently much anticipated, just delivering the news

Wait this utilises the remastered engine?

Destraex

ok tried Complex and I think I have a long way to go to understand it.
However initial thoughts are that if you are a good player then complex enhances that by giving already good players bonuses for being good.
For example:

1) You have to gain rank to gain access to better ships. The fastest way to gain rank is to fight. Thus the victor then gets a bonus here of not only winning the fight but therefore getting better ships than his opponent.
2) Population capacity must be researched to allow bigger fleets on top of needing to be sufficient rank to access better ships. Thus if you have resources to pay for pop cap then you are once again doubling your advantage.
3) You have to research weapon power. Meaning that if you have the resources you can auto win any battle. Simply by ranking your weapons up at 10% per upgrade out to 7 or so upgrades.
4) You need resources to store resources. Above 10,000 ru your resources collectors are useless unless you pay for containers to store the extra RU in. A neat idea and one which gives the enemy a chance to destroy I ASSUME your container and any resources there in.

These are just a few of the really cool features that while nice I would think are impossible to balance and probably exaggerate any opponents already marked advantage.

The other main problem I see thus far is that one cannot really plan to have a good fleet made of very different ship sizes simply because gaining access to the bigger ships is an end game, a linear path rather than
the original homeworlds choice of paths.

The mod looks great and they seem to have done the right thing by not having too many ships but having a wide variety of weapons instead. I like the mod. But it takes far too long to play unless you simply want to dogfight with fighters for the quick game.

Rayfer

Quote from: Destraex on January 13, 2017, 06:50:01 PM
The problem I have with all these homeworld mods is that they don't take advantage of the new remastered improvements. The modders are stuck in the past either because of tools or perhaps that they are building on top of lostech they don't understand... I don't know. But it is only very slowly that mods are being converted but my understanding is that most are not bothering. Because steams remastered install also includes the original classic installs.
I would love to play HW mods but love the remastered graphics too much.

Did anybody else here like Netflix's "The Expanse" ? The gunship looks to my eyes similar to some homeworld ships...

"The Expanse" is from an outstanding sci-fi novel series of the same name. Can't remember the exact number but I believe there were 4-6 books in the series. The TV show does a good job with it, sticking mostly to the book's plot line. Season two is to start soon on the SyFy channel then will port to Netflix some time later.

Destraex

Yes, I read that it was based on a series of books. That is how the best films and TV come about. Because they have so much depth and complexity to form framework in the film makers mind.

Gusington

Sci fi is not my top genre but I thought the show was pretty good...good enough to get me interested in the books.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd