600 Million Without Electricity in India

Started by mirth, July 31, 2012, 11:03:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

I'm sure many of you have heard about this by now. Half of India is without electricity after the power grids in the north and east tanked.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/01/world/asia/power-outages-hit-600-million-in-india.html?hp
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Centurion40

I'd hate to imagine life in India without air conditioning.

I wonder if the call centers have back-up generators?
Any time is a good time for pie.

DoctorQuest

I work for an Indian company (not by choice) and I'm surprised we have not heard more about it.

Yes, you would think the major companies would have backup electrical infrastructure.

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

LongBlade

Quote from: Centurion40 on July 31, 2012, 11:17:09 AM
I wonder if the call centers have back-up generators?

Ha! That's funny.

More seriously - I'm not sure what is happening over there, but it sounds like most of the country blacked out. That can't be good.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Silent Disapproval Robot

This never would have happened under the Raj, what what!

*dons pith helmet and monocle, wanders off in a gin-soaked funk*

LongBlade

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 31, 2012, 01:08:00 PM

Well, I will be curious to discover exactly how India managed to wipe out its entire power grid. Specifically, I'm curious to know whether it was self-inflicted or if they had some help (a la some kind of hacking/cyber attack). My gut tells me that it was probably self-inflicted, but I'd like to know for sure.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Jarhead0331

I thought more than half of India already was without electricity...you learn something new every day.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Centurion40

Yeah but half of the other half is now without electricity.

mirth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 31, 2012, 01:13:59 PM
I thought more than half of India already was without electricity...you learn something new every day.

You're not far off. From the NY Times article-

QuoteAn estimated 300 million Indians have no routine access to electricity.

Ponder this too -

QuoteThe power failure spread across 22 of the country's 28 states, an area whose population is nearly 700 million, almost 10 percent of the world's population.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Centurion40

Centurion40

You know, my home internet and e-mail went down for a little while last night, and we've been having some network problems at work today... I wonder if it's connected?

mirth

Quote from: Centurion40 on July 31, 2012, 01:54:19 PM
You know, my home internet and e-mail went down for a little while last night, and we've been having some network problems at work today... I wonder if it's connected?

I hope not. We need you posting pics to the Lingerie Channel!

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: LongBlade on July 31, 2012, 01:13:42 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 31, 2012, 01:08:00 PM

Well, I will be curious to discover exactly how India managed to wipe out its entire power grid. Specifically, I'm curious to know whether it was self-inflicted or if they had some help (a la some kind of hacking/cyber attack). My gut tells me that it was probably self-inflicted, but I'd like to know for sure.

Initial reports on our ever so wonderful Indian channel are blaming it on local corruption.  Each state on the power grid was allotted a percentage of power and nearly all were drawing more than their max limit. 

mirth

Sounds like a real CF. People not willing to actually do their jobs.

QuoteSurendra Rao, who was the chairman of the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission in 2001, when the nation's last major blackout occurred, said that a fairly sophisticated system of circuit breakers should have prevented the failures on Monday and Tuesday. But, he said, the people manning the circuit breakers are bureaucrats beholden to state government officials, who are loath to have the power in their locality shut off — the usual prescription when power surges threaten the national grid.

Gusington

Damn JH beat me to it. Who knew that half off the subcontinent was electrified to begin with? he NYTimes article posted above also went on to mention that brown outs and scattered outages are pretty routine across India and that most Indians were pretty 'meh' about the whole thing.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd