Main Menu

VR Guys Check-in

Started by Jarhead0331, December 12, 2019, 11:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

I'm interested in getting a handle on how many of our regulars are into VR gaming, currently own a VR headset and/or plan on getting one in the near future. Also, I'm wondering if it makes sense to create a subforum for VR titles exclusively. I find it is the kind of topic that either interests you, or doesn't. If it had its own little corner, it would be a place to highlight new titles, trends, technology or relevant issues/topics without getting lost in the shuffle.

Thoughts?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Barthheart

Great idea. I'm getting more interested in VR as the tech gets better and the prices come down.
Haven't jumped yet but hearing you all talk about using it for flight sims is really making it hard to resist.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 12, 2019, 11:23:34 AM
I'm interested in getting a handle on how many of our regulars are into VR gaming, currently own a VR headset and/or plan on getting one in the near future. Also, I'm wondering if it makes sense to create a subforum for VR titles exclusively. I find it is the kind of topic that either interests you, or doesn't. If it had its own little corner, it would be a place to highlight new titles, trends, technology or relevant issues/topics without getting lost in the shuffle.

Thoughts?

I'm in. I have had an Oculus Rift for about two years now. Use it for room tracking with three sensors. However the tedious set up and take down have me strongly considering an Oculus Quest.  For fun and travel, I have an Oculus Go as well.

Concur on sub forum
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Ubercat

I think a subforum would be a great idea. I have an HTC Vive Cosmos that I'm still getting acclimated to. I have to build up a tolerance for it (mixed brain signals) the same way I had to when I was learning to fly! So far I think the most I can do is about 20 minutes at a time. I've had a hell of a time trying to learn the controls for some games like Skyrim VR. They are NOT well documented and in some cases not even supported yet.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Gusington

Good idea for gamers who are interested but don't own VR yet and want to learn more.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Yskonyn

Subforum would be great!

I am using Rift CV 1 with three sensors. Bought it mainly for DCS but have found that it just not suitable enough. Viewdistance is quite bad and various physiological strain issues keep me from having a tolerable experience in long or detailed missions.

Elite Dangerous and No Mans Sky on the other hand are an absolute fantastic experience for me!
Plus the various fun games like Beat Saber, Gorn and Dead and Buried are excellent.

Upgrading to a higher fidelity headset probably requires my pc to be upgraded first, which will happen in Januari.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Gusington on December 12, 2019, 11:57:36 AM
Good idea for gamers who are interested but don't own VR yet and want to learn more.

Yup.  Count me in too.

MengJiao

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 12, 2019, 11:23:34 AM

Thoughts?

Good idea!  I just got an oculus quest (soon to have a cable to hook to the PC).  So far watching my wife beat invisible virtual small animals to death has been the most fun.

I hope the average Steam VR game is even better than that.  But who knows?

Sir Slash

I'll be checking this section out as well. Very curious about all the new fangled tech and stuff.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Jarhead0331

Glad to see all the interest! I went ahead and created the subforum. Its located in the Digital Gaming Group right below Console Gaming.

As most of you know...I LOVE virtual reality and really think it is the future of the hobby and beyond.

I have an HTC Vive, Oculus Rift S and HP Reverb. I'm sure before the end of the year, I'll have a Valve Index too, unless something affordable comes out that blows everything current out of the water.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

Oculus Rift S here - no need for pesky sensors. Due to my injury from August (fractured and dislocated shoulder - and now it's frozen would you believe) I don't get to play it much - but when I do, it blows me away!
Alba gu' brath

Yskonyn

Yeah the lack of sensor requirement had me contemplating to buy the Rift S, but when I tried it over at a mate's house I didn't feel it was worth the upgrade cash afterall.

If I part with my hard earned cash for a new VR set it must be a big leap forward.

I do think the S is the version to get if you didnt have VR yet however. Its priced very well.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Rekim

DCS and IL2 BOS are my favorite games so far with my HP Reverb. I can play these for 2 hours or more at at time with no ill effects.

I have several others I enjoy but often find myself getting uncomfortable after short periods of play. Skyrim VR is especially hard on my stomach. The last time I played it I had a very close call with puking.