The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 10, 2014, 03:55:00 PM
Any chance we can get back to discussing the game and game mechanics instead of this pissing contest?

Yes...good idea.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mirth

Quote from: Reckall on October 10, 2014, 03:16:02 PM
Yes, I already heard this lie - along with others. And, no, I and Herman neither "troll" Harpoon nor "destroyed its community": we create scenarios (many of them with hundreds of dowloads), video AARs (our record is almost 6,000 views for a single video) and give help to those who ask for it.

No, you're simply a troll and Herman is a troll. You can continue to troll as long as some in the community will tolerate it, but I for one will not hesitate to identify you for what you are - a bitter, pathetic internet troll.

Be gone troll, we have grown weary of you.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Jarhead0331

Come on, Mirth...just ignore it. It's not worth it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mirth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 10, 2014, 05:49:10 PM
Come on, Mirth...just ignore it. It's not worth it.

It's been years of this BS, JH. I'm calling them out on it. These guys don't care about the community, they just want to cause problems.

I've never had a dog in the whole Harpoon, and now Command, fight, but I'm sick of the endless trolling.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

everyone please calm down. I will unlock this later tonight
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

{Mod hat on}

I hate having to lock threads because I hate having to stifle discussion, but this was going nowhere fast and didn't need to derail an otherwise productive thread highlighting one of the great games of the past 5 years.

The behavior in this thread by multiple individuals classically exemplifies why we don't try to set hard-and-fast behavioral rules, but instead have rule #3 - thou shalt not negatively attract the attention of the mods.

Well guess what, you've got our attention, and it ain't pretty.

Hermann -
Do not try to put on that false mask of innocence like an 8-year-old kid caught sneaking cookies into his room and trying to insist "I was just saving them until morning!" 
It is no secret among wargamers that CMANO and Warfare Sims exist in large part because the developers felt you were unfairly (or even illegally) ripping off their work on Harpoon, and they were just sick of fighting you about it.  So they left the Harpoon sandbox to you, and instead created their own, and they have found a large and enthusiastic audience for it.

There's one reason why the CMANO database is locked down:  You.
It is completely irrelevant what you think happened, or what justification you want to conjure for your actions around the Harpoon databases.  The fact remains that the devs thought you were ripping off their work, so they created their own that was completely, unequivocally, and totally theirs, and one in which you would have no opportunity to meddle.

Even if you don't want to admit it, there is a widespread perception among the wargaming community that you have an intense dislike for the developers behind CMANO and will find any possible reason to poke holes in their game.  Whether its resentment for their leaving the Harpoon community, or creating a game that has siphoned off Harpoon players, or locking down a game such that you are unable to meddle, no one cares.   

Your behavior in this thread has, in fact, turned trollish.  The example of aircraft speeds is a perfect one.
Hermann - "Aircraft speed in CMANO are artificially capped"
Everyone Else - "Eh, we don't care because there's enough other goodness in there"
Hermann - "But guys, aircraft speed in CMANO are artificially capped"
Everyone Else - "We got it.  We still don't care."
Hermann - "But guys, can you believe they limited aircraft speed in CMANO!  Clearly this game sucks!"

At this point, you have crossed into troll behavior in that the community as a whole has noted that they don't give a flying fuck, whether at full fuck-flying speed or at an artificially-limited speed of fuck-flyingness that ruins the game for you.  They just don't care.  Let it go.

You think Harpoon is a better game.  Fine.  Go play Harpoon.  Talk about Harpoon.  Create more scenarios for Harpoon   Make more videos for Harpoon.  Do it all here, for all we care - start a Harpoon thread.

But it's time to leave the Warfare Sims guys a break.  You've turned into a stalker boyfriend who can't accept that his girlfriend from 4 years ago has moved on.  They've broken up with Harpoon and are in a perfectly happy relationship with CMANO and instead of just letting it go, you're continuing to point out what a stupid haircut her new boyfriend has, or that he's wearing his belt upside down.
NO.  ONE.  CARES.

Reckall -
Your attempts to stick up for Hermann show great loyalty for a friend, but you're coming across as a guy who dives on the pile after the tackle is made, before the refs blow the whistle, and then jumps up and tries to high-five the linebacker that actually made the tackle.
Again, it does not matter the tiniest, least little insignificant bit what YOU think you're doing.  It matters how you're being perceived by the group as a whole, and that is barely above the level of a sock-puppet whose only purpose is to wait for the main hoodlum to take a breath and then yell "yeah!" while hiding behind his buddy.

Even if you guys have no intention of trolling the forums, when we as mods get multiple, repeated reports of trolling behavior, from guys who normally can't agree with each other on such basic truths as the color of the sky or the lameness of Aquaman, there's clearly something up, and it's not everyone else.

The rest of you - Mirth, Huw, Starfury, etc
Let the mods handle it.  This is not an instruction to passively let trollish behavior run free.  This is a basic and simple instruction to let the mods handle it.  Report it; PM it; email someone.  DO.  NOT.  ENGAGE.  Doing so only invites retaliation and then the inevitable downward spiral of nonsense that's been this thread for the past 3 days. 
You collectively bitch about the negative discussions of the game, but at least they're discussing the game, and not discussing the people discussing the game.  Put down the torches and pitchforks and let us handle it.

I am unlocking this thread for now, but we're keeping a close eye on it.

No one is getting banned.  No one is getting locked out.  No one is getting a time-out.  But everyone is on notice for their behavior over the last 3 days in this thread.
Hermann - stop talking about CMANO.  Just stop.  Even if you have something nice to say, it's going to be perceived as looking for a fight.  Your intentions are irrelevant at this point because of the reputation you've built over the past 6+ years.  It's time to walk away.
Reckall - when everyone else is so clearly pointing out poor behavior, do not try to rationalize or explain or justify it. 
Mirth & Star - you guys know better.  Don't pick a fight when you can just call the mods to deal with it.

And if you think I'm being a twit, fine.  You're welcome to think that.  But this could've been Jarhead telling y'all to cool it, and you would not have liked that at all.

{Mod Hat Off}
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jarhead0331

I wish I could moderate with the precision of a surgeon's scalpel the way you do. The truth is, I can only moderate with a broadsword and, yes, it is ugly. Limbs, blood and viscera liter the thread. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Toonces

I can't believe Brant said, "won't not" in that last sentence.

And he was doing so well up to that point.   :-[
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Toonces on October 10, 2014, 10:04:33 PM
I can't believe Brant said, "won't not" in that last sentence.

And he was doing so well up to that point.   :-[

Frankly autocorrect, I'm tired of your shirt!

I fixed it. :coolsmiley:

Steelgrave

^LMAO!!!

And Jarhead, we need broadswords and scalpels...it's that kind of world.   O0

Pinetree

There was trolling? I was too busy watching all the bouncing boobs....
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Staggerwing

Quote from: Pinetree on October 10, 2014, 11:29:35 PM

The containment measures are working...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Pinetree

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 11, 2014, 05:56:08 AM

They don't look very contained to me.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

RyanE

Trolling...?

And what is this..."lameness of Aquaman".

Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne will be along in a moment.

Stryker07

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 11, 2014, 05:56:08 AM

Absolutely! There is a fine selection to choose from too!    :smitten:
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog
GG's War in the West
Panzer Corps