Starship Enterprise

Started by JudgeDredd, August 25, 2016, 02:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 26, 2016, 01:01:44 PM
I wasn't sure what you meant to be honest as you mentioned "painting" them

The liquid mask (in case you don't know) just covers the glass and allows you to spray the model at will. You then peel the mask off when the paint is dry.

Whether that is best done before or after, I don't know as I've only ever used it on canopies (which aren't "in" the model). This is the first time I have done something where the clear bits go IN the model prior to the painting step.

Yeah, I understand taping over the windows in regards to painting the hull.  But I'm wondering about the opposite.

I was wondering if you were gonna do some kind of paint job on the little transparent plastic window bits themselves.  Like some kind of Blue-to-White frosting/fade on the little windows, to simulate the lights in the rooms, before gluing them in.  So you don't have to paint them from the outside (and worry about masking the hull from it .. not the other way around).

Just curious how you went about it, since people have different methods.  I've only had one friend who has modelled his whole life, and he usually painted the clear plastic canopies & such before assembling everything.  All those windows reminded me of it, so I was wondering if you used the same method or did something different (which I've not seen before).

JudgeDredd

No - I was keeping the clear bits clear - possibly with the option of putting lights in her.

So a mask (not tape - but a liquid that dries as a "gel") would be put on each of the windows after she has been built. The mask will protect the plastic while I paint and then I can pick off after.

Even if I don't put lights in, I'd probably still leave the glass clear and liquid mask when painting the main body.
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 26, 2016, 05:37:46 PM
No - I was keeping the clear bits clear - possibly with the option of putting lights in her.

I see.

Shit, that's all you had to say, mah man!  :))

GDS_Starfury

or you can paint the majority of the model first and then do touch ups on the seams as needed.  if you go for the painted panel thing usually found on ST models this is pretty easy.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 26, 2016, 08:44:32 PM
or you can paint the majority of the model first and then do touch ups on the seams as needed.  if you go for the painted panel thing usually found on ST models this is pretty easy.
That had crossed my mind  O0
Alba gu' brath