About 8,000 US troops are deploying to secure evacuations from Kabul

Started by Lowenstaat, August 12, 2021, 10:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowenstaat

Quote from: Toonces on September 19, 2021, 07:54:47 PM
When your legal counsel advises you to keep quiet...I'm not sure this is what I would have adopted as a course of action.  I guess this is the poker equivalent of going all-in.

Now he's all in the brig.
https://taskandpurpose.com/news/marine-corps-officer-stuart-scheller-brig/
"Initiative compensates for a lack of skill."

GDS_Starfury

its a very fine line between making a point and pushing to far.
if he had retired first and then done all that he's done on social media would he still be subject to the UMCJ?
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

demjansk1942

I wonder if someone will develop a game on this and the game could be about managing an evacuation of American Citizens and not leaving anyone behind.  I am not a developer but I see this as a interesting topic for a game developer.  Lots of possibilities

al_infierno

Quote from: demjansk1942 on September 28, 2021, 03:11:21 PM
I wonder if someone will develop a game on this and the game could be about managing an evacuation of American Citizens and not leaving anyone behind.  I am not a developer but I see this as a interesting topic for a game developer.  Lots of possibilities

The concept is fertile ground for interesting game mechanics, but it would be impossible to make a game about such a controversial current event without drawing the ire of Twitter activists.  Just look at Six Days in Fallujah.  Even though the focus wouldn't be on killing people, it would still inevitably catch bellyachers complaining about how you're "playing in a graveyard."  It's a good idea, don't get me wrong, but I don't see it happening unless the actors involved are replaced with fictionalized discount lookalikes.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 28, 2021, 12:49:39 AM
if he had retired first and then done all that he's done on social media would he still be subject to the UMCJ?

I think I heard/read somewhere that he still could have been subject to UCMJ penalties, albeit perhaps not quite as harsh.

Note: Think the follow-on to that was that the military was generally loathe to dick with folks post retirement so generally speaking, no one got dinged on anything.  Perhaps we'll see this change now.

p.s. Again, going by (my spotty, boozy) memory here, so I'm perfectly willing to concede being wrong as I was not legal whilst in uniform.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on September 28, 2021, 09:21:44 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 28, 2021, 12:49:39 AM

I think I heard/read somewhere that he still could have been subject to UCMJ penalties, albeit perhaps not quite as harsh.

Note: Think the follow-on to that was that the military was generally loathe to dick with folks post retirement so generally speaking, no one got dinged on anything.  Perhaps we'll see this change now.

p.s. Again, going by (my spotty, boozy) memory here, so I'm perfectly willing to concede being wrong as I was not legal whilst in uniform.

See my reply #117 on page 8 of this thread.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Lowenstaat

LtCol Stu Scheller's predicament is shaping up to be a replay of the court martial of Billy Mitchell.

After the U.S. Navy's first helium-filled rigid airship Shenandoah crashed in a storm in September 1925, killing 14 of the crew, and after the loss of three seaplanes on a flight from the West Coast to Hawaii, General Mitchell issued a statement accusing senior leaders in the Army and Navy of incompetence and "almost treasonable administration of the national defense."

"All aviation policies, schemes, and systems are dictated by nonflying officers of the Army or Navy who know practically nothing about it," Mitchell continued. "The lives of the airmen are being used merely as pawns in their hands. ... Officers and agents sent by the War and Navy Departments to Congress have almost always given incomplete, misleading, or false information about aeronautics."

Four days later, Mitchell launched another critical attack. "If the department does not like the statement I made, let them take disciplinary action as they see fit, according to their judgment, court-martial or no court-martial. ... The investigation that is needed is of the War and Navy Departments and their conduct in the disgraceful administration of aviation."

In October 1925, the U.S. military brought eight charges against Mitchell on the direct order of President Calvin Coolidge, accusing Mitchell of violation of the 96th Article of War, which Mitchell's chief counsel, Congressman Frank Reid, declared to be "unconstitutional" as a violation of free speech. The trial lasted 7 weeks, after which  the court found the truth or falsity of Mitchell's accusations to be immaterial to the charges against him. On December 17, 1925, the military court found Mitchell "guilty of all specifications and of the charge."

In the 1955 movie The Court Martial of Billy Mitchell, Ralph Bellamy's character, Congressman Frank Reid who defended Mitchell, tried everything he could think of to mount a legal defense against the court marital, even issuing a subpoena for President Calvin Coolidge to testify.

I wonder who will be subpoenaed in the the court martial of Stu Scheller, if it comes to that.

Marine Corps Captain Sam Stephenson, a spokesman for Training and Education Command, explained today that the time, date, and location for Scheller's Article 32 hearing have yet to be determined. He also said the military is considering multiple UCMJ charges: "The general nature of the offenses being considered at the Art. 32 hearing are: Article 88 (contempt toward officials), Article 90 (willfully disobeying superior commissioned officer), Article 92 (failure to obey lawful general orders), Article 133 (conduct unbecoming an officer and a gentleman)."
"Initiative compensates for a lack of skill."

Dammit Carl!

Sir Slash

Do any of those charges justify indefinite confinement in the brig under the UCMJ? Where's HIS Right to Parole? Or, is it the military's just taking a long time to hear his case? A VERY long time.  :idiot2:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

or maybe he should have kept his mouth shut and retired and THEN go on his little crusade.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 29, 2021, 05:27:44 PM
or maybe he should have kept his mouth shut and retired and THEN go on his little crusade.

Some people put their oaths, values and convictions above their comfort, personal liberty and financial well-being. Imagine that.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

GDS_Starfury

I dont see why following a different process invalidates oaths, values and convictions.

Sir Slash

But don't the military swear an oath to, "The Constitution" not any President, or administration? I don't see how questioning the actions of superior officers violates that. But that's just me after all.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

z1812

Usually the first person to complain so openly is simply the tip of the iceberg.