Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes

Started by JasonPratt, December 07, 2020, 04:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Slitherine releases news that VR is working on his next DC game, releasing next year!

One of the more interesting points is that Victor is dropping the idea of persistent ownership of hexes (aside from bases).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

We broke this news on November 27. It's true what they say...nobody reads the front page.  :'(

http://grogheads.com/news/20649
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

al_infierno

Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa is still among my top-5 all time favorite wargames, so I'm very excited to see how Ardennes Assault evolves the formula.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

jamus34

What's the front page?

<ducks for cover>
Insert witty comment here.

solops

Any comments on how good this game is?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Tripoli

I liked the game, but have only played smaller scenarios. IMHO, it does a good job of portraying some of the issue at the battalion scale, and is one of the few WWII games that I am aware of that operates on that scale.  The AI is good.   Steam reviews are positive, but only 33 of them.  However, some in depth reviews have been pretty positive.
See 
https://strategyandwargaming.com/2021/11/20/decisive-campaigns-ardennes-offensive-review-new-golden-standard/
https://www.awargamersneedfulthings.co.uk/2022/01/blog-post.html
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Zulu1966

It is truly excellent.
Changes made are all positive - cannot recommend highly enough.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

bobarossa

I played for about a week and  only stopped because I couldn't figure out how to use antitank guns.   Kept getting a -90+ % modifier.  The matrix forums were fairly dead for some reason.

FarAway Sooner

Bob, are you remembering to load them with shells (not cow patties) AND point them at the enemy tanks?  Both of those steps are critical.    8)