Star Wars, Star Trek, and the "laws of canon"

Started by JasonPratt, October 03, 2019, 03:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Acerbic internet commentator "Doomcock" (yes, I know, sigh), released a (somewhat more SafeForWork) video essay today, which I would describe as an examination of how canon works in folk anthropology, particularly modern (with an eye on its application to Star Trek and Star Wars recently) -- though I recognize the principles on how people have applied the ideas of canon in the past as well.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Martok

I don't think I could bear to watch that video.  The very subject threatens to turn me into a frothing rage... 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

JasonPratt

I'll summarize the parts relevant to folk-anthropology:

1.) anything that contradicts a previously established fact (or detail) is not canon.

2.) canon may only be revised or discarded by the original creator, not by heirs or assigned curators.

3.) the moral right of canon supersedes the legal right of intellectual property.

4.) work that disregards a creator's written (or similarly established) plans for canon, cannot be regarded as canon.

5.) non-canonical work can however be ratified as canon eventually, by faithful fans of the original work (appreciating the genius of how the post-canon fits or improves prior canon).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

W8taminute

Jason your post comes at a good time as I just saw that video yesterday.

Quote from: Martok on October 04, 2019, 04:06:16 AM
I don't think I could bear to watch that video.  The very subject threatens to turn me into a frothing rage...

I had to watch that video as well as others to understand why I was triggered into a frothing rage within the first 45 seconds of watching The Last Jedi on opening day.  I had to watch that video to also understand why I was set into a frothing rage after the Game of Thrones season 8 debacle. 

That rage has been replaced by a deep sorrow as I continue to watch what I once loved and held dear being torn apart by agendas of greed, social justice, and woke feldercarb.  I fear that we are entering a new dark age as freedom, traditions, and canon folklore are being trampled on. 

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 03, 2019, 03:54:53 PM
Acerbic internet commentator "Doomcock" (yes, I know, sigh)...

Haha!  I actually like the future ruler of the universe also known as Doomcock.  Let those who want to judge me for my likes do so.  I am comfortable with who I am.  LOL   ;D  8)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JasonPratt

He wears on me after a while, but I appreciate his thematic premise: Without Respect, We Reject.

This could of course apply just as fairly in several directions! -- which I think he understands.