Main Menu

Financial Games?

Started by Epee1, February 08, 2012, 10:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Epee1

So is there any financial games where you actually learn something that transfers to real life?

Thanks.

LongBlade

Some investment sites allow you to make shadow transactions to see how your theories are working.

There is a company that makes a game that helps auditors better identify embezzlement and other forensic accounting.

There are also games that I played in school a long time ago - I expect they have been significantly improved upon in the last 20 years. 

What more exactly are you looking for?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

son_of_montfort

The only financial game I played in school was Lemonade Stand!  ;) For an early Apple game, it was pretty good!

Outside of space trading games, I don't know of any realistic ones. Capitalism and Capitalism II were always good, but more about industry and production than stocks and bonds.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Epee1

I was just looking for some type of game that simulated the stock market, without losing real money.

Thanks for the suggestions.

jomni

Just do paper trading. Games won't do since they are fantasy.

Epee1

Thanks Jomni, you are probably right.

republic

Not a stock market game, but I actually learned quite a bit during my years of Eve Online.  It has a deep economic system with great rewards...but can be brutal as well.

besilarius

Not at all useful for present day finances, but if you were curious about being a trader in the Middle Ages after the Black Death, then the Patrician series is very immersive.
It is up to verson 4, and is not at all military or diplomatic.  Just trade and survival.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.