Kickstarter... the new way to publish games?

Started by son_of_montfort, February 16, 2012, 11:16:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

son_of_montfort

After the rousing success of Tim Schafer for his new adventure game (maybe Psychonauts 2) it looks like it might be a viable avenue for other classic developers to resurrect the old greats into a new era.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun reports that developer Brian Fargo will likely set up a Kickstarter campaign for a whopping (puts finger next to mouth)... one million dollars! This money will be put toward creating a sequel to the classic hit Wasteland. This is good news for old gaming grogs like us who remember this predecessor to Fallout (I'll admit, I do not remember it, but I know what it is).

Anyway, check it out here:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/16/brian-fargo-turning-to-kickstarter-for-wasteland-2/

I'm very excited, not only by this prospect but also that Kickstarter may be the way in which indies finally chuck the DRM-loving, money grubbing, non-supportive, console focused big publishers. The future looks very bright if this works out!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Gusington

Wasteland is one of my favorite games of all time. If a true sequel could be made well, then Kickstarter could be electric mana from heaven.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd