I am Maximus Decimus Meridius, General of the Armies of the FRIDAY

Started by JasonPratt, September 14, 2018, 09:32:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IICptMillerII

Recently had a taste for the Eastern Front, so I've been playing a lot of Combat Mission: Red Thunder, as well as some oldies like Call of Duty original just for the fun of it. I even let my inner grog go full blown and whipped up a quick operational layer for CMRT. Pretty fun so far, even with the large admin overhead added.

Seen here, some (ahistorical, modded by me) Ostruppen man a defensive line, waiting for a Soviet attack.

Unfortunately I've been having some random crashing issues with the game while playing. Odd, seeing as I've never had any issues like this before, but I believe I know what the problem is. Long story short, not enough RAM on my new rebuild. I checked this morning and saw that Amazon could do free same day shipping on 16gb of RAM that was also 21% off with Amazon Prime. Wallet is a bit lighter, but all in all I'm pretty happy with how that turned out. Hoping it fixes my crash issue when it gets here later today.

Besides all that I recently installed the Divide et Impera mod for Total War: Rome II and had a surprising amount of fun with it. I'm not a fan of the new Total War games, but the DEI mod certainly makes the game enjoyable, which is a large improvement over my experience with the vanilla game. Things can get a bit slow however, and the turn times are a bit longer than vanilla due to all the extra stuff going on. Still though, a pretty good way to get my fix for both Rome and strategic layers.

Sir Slash

I'm liking the Dei mod for Rome 2 also, better than Radious in my opinion. I like that battles last longer than 10 minutes.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Is DEI a total conversion? Does it add new factions and units?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

QuoteDivide et Impera is a total overhaul of Rome 2 that seeks to provide a challenging, historically authentic, realistic experience of the ancient world and warfare. Almost all aspects of the game have been overhauled, including hundreds of custom units and textures. DeI also includes custom scripting that provides a unique Reforms system, a Supply system and other unique game elements. Requires all [10] parts to run properly.

There's a host error at TWCenter right now, so can't link to the forum for the mod.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

That's what I said, except with a 'Sum-Bitch' added in. The 10 parts are mostly small needing only 10-12 min. to download, with the very first part being largest. I was able to download all 10 parts in about 4 hours or so of off and on checking at Steam. There's a YouTube video by 'Republic of Play' that sold me on the mod posted about a week ago that explains a lot more of what it does.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

IICptMillerII

Quote from: Sir Slash on September 16, 2018, 10:21:37 PM
I'm liking the Dei mod for Rome 2 also, better than Radious in my opinion. I like that battles last longer than 10 minutes.

I like it more than Radious as well. I haven't played Radious in a while, so things might have changed, but when I did play it felt more like tweaking the values of the vanilla game rather than adding anything new.

RE 10 parts: The reason for this is the Steam workshop has a file size limit. I think it's 400mb, but don't quote me on that. Anyways due to the file size limit, larger mods have to be split into parts to download. At least that is the explanation I've been given.

Quote from: Gusington on September 17, 2018, 01:00:50 PM
Is it worth the time?

I would say it is definitely worth the download time. As I've said before, I am not a fan of the vanilla game, at all. But with DEI the game is both playable and enjoyable now.

Sir Slash

Agree with the above though I've only just begun to play it. I LOVE all the new units the number of playable factions is huge.

JasonPratt

I can't recall if one of the megamods has updated to Empire Divided yet, btw. I do recall putting my play there on hold to see if they would...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 17, 2018, 02:12:54 PM
I can't recall if one of the megamods has updated to Empire Divided yet, btw. I do recall putting my play there on hold to see if they would...

Maybe you answered my question here, but to clarify: will the DEI mid work for Empire Divided? I love DEI but haven't played in 2 years. If I start, it's gonna be in the 3rd century crises
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

IICptMillerII

Quote from: mikeck on September 17, 2018, 03:24:03 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on September 17, 2018, 02:12:54 PM

Maybe you answered my question here, but to clarify: will the DEI mid work for Empire Divided? I love DEI but haven't played in 2 years. If I start, it's gonna be in the 3rd century crises

I believe so.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?654437-Resource-DeI-Manuals-Guides-and-FAQ#R10

QuoteQ. Is the mod compatible with all the campaigns?
A. Yes, DeI is compatible with all the mini-campaigns and the Augustus campaign. We also have our own custom Macedonian Wars campaign that replaces the vanilla Wrath of Sparta. If you want to play the original WoS campaign instead, you can download a submod for that from our submod forums or Steam. Obviously, you must own the applicable DLCs to play those campaigns.

As an additional note, it has been made compatible with the newest "Rise of the Republic" DLC. Based on that I would assume it works with the 3rd Century Crisis DLC as well. No harm in trying.

JasonPratt

I just got back to the house from work, and haven't been able to check yet whether there's an Empire Divided addition to DEI.

Having just checked, the answer seems to be ambiguous, in that it works with Patch 20, and mostly works with Rise of the Republic with some tweaks still to be done, which implies it works with EmpDiv. But I haven't experimented yet. (Got to get the Grogpublic running this afternoon at last.  :D )

[Note: ninja'd with more detail by CptMiller.  O0 )

Gusington

Thank you guys. Although I damned you to the steaming cauldrons of hell, I still love you.

*peruses Steam giddily*

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd