WOFF Between Heaven and Hell II

Started by Grim.Reaper, January 30, 2021, 07:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

I don't know the guys behind WoFF, Pavloski and such, but I suspect they are good modders, but do not have the money, infrastructure, capability to create/buy/borrow a new flight simulator engine.

You fire up WoFF and then Rise of Flight, the flight simulator characteristic differences are striking.

Still, WoFF succeeds not on any individual point, but on the sum of its parts IMO.  There is so much that could be improved, yet as a single player package, it is very hard to beat.  You buy it, you get the whole smack, right up front, and being that it's biplanes, it's not all that hard to learn to play/fly.  Sometimes, less is more.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

The_Admiral

Quotebut do not have the money, infrastructure, capability to create/buy/borrow a new flight simulator engine.

Well there is stuff available off the shelf, these options didn't exist back in the day. Current form is naturally indebted to the design of the original mod around CFS, and the current game has managed to turn into something I would never have thought possible in terms of depth and polish. Honestly my main motivation for a new engine is not so much tech than any sort of string that might still be attached to the CFS roots and (perhaps?) explain the rather confidential business approach. That game does deserve so much more spotlight IMHO.

At any rate if they read us, I'd love to assist them in finding the right people to go to the next level.  :coolsmiley:

I am convinced, as you say, that the potential of the game is all there in its full package form. That's what people want to play when remembering fondly Red Baron - and besides a (marginally-needed) new engine & (more appropriate perhaps) business model, it's all already right there.

Grim.Reaper

By the way, release date is expected before end of March.

Gusington

^Did not think it would be coming that quickly.

GIGGITY

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

FarAway Sooner

Alternately, you can just read Goshawk Squadron.  If you can find it on Amazon...    <:-)

z1812

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on March 21, 2021, 03:14:46 PM
Alternately, you can just read Goshawk Squadron.  If you can find it on Amazon...    <:-)

I just bought it for Kindle. 7.99 Canadian, 6.99 American.

Father Ted

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on March 21, 2021, 03:14:46 PM

...and War Story and Hornet's Sting

Sir Slash

That game looks great, the weather and clouds are quite well done. I wish I was better at these games but I suck royally. If I was playing, the clouds would all be red with my blood.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Grim.Reaper

Web site now says early April release

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bruce205

In anticipation I got "Marked for Death" book at the library. WW1 in the air and it received nice reviews on Amazon.

Bruce

trek

Bruce, good choice on your reading. I have at least a dozen books on WW1 Aviation but "Marked for Death" is the best of them all. There are details in the book and things you will learn that none of my other books even touched. If you only want ONE book on the topic this is THE book.

Old TImer

Has anybody ever gotten WOFF to work on a laptop?  I know they don't support it but I find it weird that I can play Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 on a laptop but not WOFF.  As I'm currently restricted to a laptop due to a nomadic lifestyle, it's sorta disappointing.

Grim.Reaper

Although no firm release date besides coming soon, they did post the list of new features since the last version.  Unfortunately can't link directly to it, nor copy/paste because doesn't format well, but you can go here and click on the button to see the differences...pretty long list.

https://www.overflandersfields.com/features.html

Staggerwing

I really wish the Zepps were flyable. We really need a good zeppelin sim, even better if it included things like damage control and detailed docking/handling procedures sort of like a sub sim.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys