Tabletop Simulator

Started by demjansk1942, April 16, 2020, 07:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

demjansk1942

I was wondering if many of the players on the site use this program.  It seems to have a lot of good functions.  However, I tried it once and couldn't get the hang of it. Therefore, never got into it.  Any suggestions out there on the best board war games?

acctingman

I've used it to play Chain of Command (ww miniatures games) a couple times and have used it extensively (last month+) to play Heroclix with my gaming buddies. I've dabbled in some of the workshop board games in there. Love TTS!

al_infierno

I use it semi-frequently to play COIN games (mostly Cuba Libre and Fire in the Lake), but it's also great for trying out recent games.  I own a few games like War of Whispers that I actually tend to play in TTS more often than actually setting the physical thing up, simply because of the convenience.

I recommend using tutorials or watching videos to get the hang of the interface and how objects interact with each other.  Once you get the hang of it, it's quite functional.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

demjansk1942

Thanks for the suggestions, Infierno, I have Cuba Libre but never played it, do you have any recommendations?

Thanks

Rayfer

I've used it on and off to play solo the old Squad Leader, Advanced Squad Leader and other old board games by SPI and Avalon Hill.  The interface takes some effort to get used to but all in all it's been fun playing those old games which would cost a fortune if you buy them used on eBay or other sources.  I haven't used it to play against another person.  Also, there is no AI so it's either solo with you playing both sides or you hook up with another player.

Barthheart

There's a bunch of us using TTS to play minis games every Saturday night. We live stream on YouTube as well.
Here's a link to the YouTube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP6hA1_EvjQQGYdlMGLoYfA/videos

Great fun with a crowd of players.

Yskonyn

I have used it to play Warfighter and Twilight Imperium. Great program!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Father Ted

I bought it to try the Workshop item "Subbuteo" and it just reminded me how tricky/fiddly the actual game was.  Still, I think the base game might be useful in these lockdown days

JasonPratt

Note that the Warfighter module is pay, not free -- but well worth the pay IMO!

I primarily use it for 'filming' demonstrations of games, or for AARs of multiplayer games I played on Vassal. I also used it as the visual basis for an epic game of Republic of Rome we played on this forum a couple of years ago (using a private module I made about 1/3 of myself.)

I would play solo games on it, but I just have a bunch of other games to play on the computer so I never get around to it -- which could be just as easily said for at least 70% of my computer games! (Based on a study where I mentally wrote down a bunch of ever increasing percentages until I arrived at one that sounded right. ;) )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

W8taminute

Quote from: Yskonyn on April 17, 2020, 09:25:59 AM
I have used it to play Warfighter and Twilight Imperium. Great program!

I've also used it for playing Twilight Imperium, Forbidden Stars, Star Wars: Rebellion, and Scythe.  In addition to these modern board games there are workshop mods that add games like Battle of Britain (The Lion and the Eagle), A Few Acres of Snow, Most of the games from the Coin series, and many other wargames.  There are even some very old Avalon Hill games from the 60's and 70's that you can try.  All for free.

TTS was definitely a great purchase IMO.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

demjansk1942

I just watched a video on The Hunters solitaire board game from the computer and it helped explain a few things about the game.  The person was moving the pieces as if playing a tabletop game.  Next time it's on sale I would purchase. 

?

Thanks for the replies

planetbrain

As I stated in another post on with this very subject, I wish someone competent would have a go at doing the 'Carrier' single player board game for the workshop, which I feel this program would be ideal for. My own effort was a  failure. I know it's on Vassal and other such programs but I think TTS would do it better, esp. graphically.
Modify message
Mostly harmless

JasonPratt

One of these days (..."one of these days",  ::)  :2funny: ) I want to figure out how and where Vassal stores its files so that I can port them over to TTS modules.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

demjansk1942

I tried the vassal program at one time and I had no clue about what to do.

planetbrain

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 17, 2020, 07:38:30 PM
One of these days (..."one of these days",  ::)  :2funny: ) I want to figure out how and where Vassal stores its files so that I can port them over to TTS modules.

Vassal module (.vmod) files can simply be extracted with a program such as Izarc or peazip. This gives access to all maps/graphics used.
Mostly harmless