Introducing TASK FORCE ADMIRAL Vol.1: American Carrier Battles

Started by The_Admiral, October 11, 2019, 12:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

Mostly folks saying what you'd hear here: wanting more fidelity with carrier ops, might as well wait for TF:A, I hope Microprose does better, etc. etc.

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

The_Admiral

So considering  I was summoned

QuoteAdmiral, pay attention here.

I will move the conversation in here  ;)

QuoteCarrier Battles 4 does this, to some extent.  What I would really, really like to see (either modded into this game, or definitely in TF:A) is some sort of flight board that shows you, in detail, the status of what's being readied, what's on the flight deck ready to launch, when your planes like CAP are due to land, and when your strikes are due back to the ship. This info is sort of available in Carrier Battles, but you have to decipher it from the numbers on the counters, and you have to do a lot of mental math.  I'd like to see a board with this info spelled out clearly, as it certainly would be in real life, so I can look at a glance and tell where my priorities need to be.  Do I need to let a flight SBDs ditch to get off a second strike?  Get a CAP airborne?  Do I need to cycle my CAP early to get my deck cleared early for my returning strike?  None of these appear, so far, to be intuitive with CB4.  I will say if you foul these calculations up you will pay LOL.
That is planned. We do not intend to leave the player in the fog whenever it is not unwarranted. A flag officer knows at anytime what he has ready and what he hasn't, what he can send or what he must recover. We're planning a small collab with a famed youtube channel in a few days to come where we're providing some of the visuals, but technically the reason why we will provide them all the more gladly is that whatever happened that day and the fashion in which it happened are perfectly relevant within the frame of the game we are designing. But more on this later when the whole thing comes out  ;)

For all intents & purposes, at any rate, a full Ouija board is planned, even though you're not moving the planes around yourself (you're not the Air Boss). You get to order what you need, and your staff provides. You will order what you need based on the info available to you, and this info will be as comprehensive as possible, while presented to you in a relevant, clear & relatable way (that is, we'll be using actual black boards as much as possible). I find interfaces to be easier to design & more able to convey a player's connection when you just make it look like the way it would IRL.

QuoteSo you have an idea of the endurance criteria before you launch.  When they get into the landing pattern you can check who needs to land first or most urgently by selecting the landing group and checking their endurance states.  The game will cycle them onto deck in the most appropriate order, exactly like the boardgame rolls would do.  I'd just prefer to see something with more granularity on the whole process.  We don't have to move in "turns" "20-minute cycles" "hexes" and stuff like that now.  I want to see real numbers, time, and minutes.  That's what I'm hoping from TF:A.
Aye, although any wargame, especially at this scale has to go for some abstraction, we'll keep the level as low as possible. Same thinking as before, it is easier to make someone understand a process if he sees it all unravel before his/her eyes. You will have real numbers, distances, times - this is the simulation part of the deal. No need to hide anything, because we need this stuff to recreate our environment to begin with. No worries there  :coolsmiley:  ^-^

The_Admiral

Making a small dev update tonight, if you don't know what to read for lunch, we have you covered  :coolsmiley:

See you soon!

The_Admiral

There you go gents!

Cheers & take care ;)

rustyshackleford

Quote from: The_Admiral on February 06, 2021, 11:51:32 AM
There you go gents!

Cheers & take care ;)

Words cannot express my excitement for this! :notworthy: :notworthy:

P.S. Thanks for the Yorktown wallpaper :dreamer:

steve58

Nice update Admiral.  Looks like your baby is coming along nicely.  Just wondering if you'd care to expound any on that "future collab" reference???  :)
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Destraex

Will their be any people on the ships like in ses jutland, war thunder ships or dcs supercarrier? I mean the carriers and seaplane carriers eill no doubt be the focus so perhaps the carriers will get thst special human touch?
How bout fighter cockpits, will the be manned?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

The_Admiral

Quote from: steve58 on February 06, 2021, 01:55:58 PM
Nice update Admiral.  Looks like your baby is coming along nicely.  Just wondering if you'd care to expound any on that "future collab" reference???  :)

Hey there Steve.
Nothing much to get hot about, it's just a cool collab with a friendly Youtuber sharing our views on how history should be told. We'll provide the CGI footage  ;)
Should be out by the end of the month so you'll get to see soon enough!

QuoteWill their be any people on the ships like in ses jutland, war thunder ships or dcs supercarrier? I mean the carriers and seaplane carriers eill no doubt be the focus so perhaps the carriers will get thst special human touch?
We are currently making trials for the our static crews (this is tech that needs to be addressed along with the base design, typically for weapon mounts). We'll see where it leads us. Small people moving around is another story entirely though!
And if we have small people, better have them everywhere, otherwise it will be an immersion breaker (that is, the human brain is more receptive to having no guys, or all the guys, but won't stand if we just cherry pick the ships we like in that regard...)

In regard of the planes, the pilots are in there already though  ;)

fran

Hey there Steve.
Nothing much to get hot about, it's just a cool collab with a friendly Youtuber sharing our views on how history should be told. We'll provide the CGI footage  ;)

:bd:

Destraex

Quote from: The_Admiral on February 06, 2021, 10:10:24 PM

Hey there Steve.

QuoteWill their be any people on the ships like in ses jutland, war thunder ships or dcs supercarrier? I mean the carriers and seaplane carriers eill no doubt be the focus so perhaps the carriers will get thst special human touch?
We are currently making trials for the our static crews (this is tech that needs to be addressed along with the base design, typically for weapon mounts). We'll see where it leads us. Small people moving around is another story entirely though!
And if we have small people, better have them everywhere, otherwise it will be an immersion breaker (that is, the human brain is more receptive to having no guys, or all the guys, but won't stand if we just cherry pick the ships we like in that regard...)

In regard of the planes, the pilots are in there already though  ;)
Sounds good. THat shot of the sailors all on the deck of the tilted sinking carrier deck or the japanese waving off their fighters comes to mind. Games don't generally show the busy hive that a ship can be for obvious reasons. I seem to remember age of sail II privateers bounty also did it.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

steve58

Quote from: The_Admiral on February 06, 2021, 10:10:24 PM

Hey there Steve.

Looking forward to it.  Thanks!
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

The_Admiral

Some extra guilty plane-related delights today for you, Ladies & Gents

Great thanks to Chris from Military Aviation History & Justin Pyke for this charming (and challenging) collab opportunity! Loads of original never seen as of yet Task Force Admiral footage featured today in this video which will tell you about the death ride of 4.Kokutai against USS Lexington in February 1942. We prominently feature in the first half, but any fan of the PTO is obviously highly encouraged to watch this one video.  :coolsmiley:

All Grogs, have a nice one and take good care!  :peace:

rocketman

Quote from: The_Admiral on February 11, 2021, 02:49:34 PM
Some extra guilty plane-related delights today for you, Ladies & Gents

Great thanks to Chris from Military Aviation History & Justin Pyke for this charming (and challenging) collab opportunity! Loads of original never seen as of yet Task Force Admiral footage featured today in this video which will tell you about the death ride of 4.Kokutai against USS Lexington in February 1942. We prominently feature in the first half, but any fan of the PTO is obviously highly encouraged to watch this one video.  :coolsmiley:

All Grogs, have a nice one and take good care!  :peace:

It popped up in my feed earler today but I failed to realize that it was connected to the game. Now off to brew a cup of coffee and watch this delight  :D

The_Admiral

Thanks, hope you enjoyed ;)

Now, a change of pace, a little bit of a guilty pleasure for the ears :crazy2:

The_Admiral

Hi guys! ^-^

Had a lot of smaller updates since the last time, but this one is perhaps a bit more important - we're prototyping our menu & our soundtrack, care to tell us if you feel like the mood is adequate considering the topic? The footage is kinda old so no worries this will be changed and made more relevant, but it was picked based on the sort of feeling we wanted to convey more than anything. Thanks in advance ;)