Night at the Gates of Hell

Started by al_infierno, September 17, 2022, 07:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

For all you spoopy horror fans, there's an excellent little indie game on Steam!  This one is more on the old-school Resident Evil style survival horror side of things, with just a few sequences where you're without your trusty guns.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2026870/Night_At_the_Gates_of_Hell/

Here's my Steam review:

Excellent little survival horror gem that feels a bit like a first-person version of the old Resident Evil or Silent Hill games. The atmosphere is on point with the Argento/Fulci atmosphere, and along with the fitting choice of an old revolver and pump shotgun, there are plenty of sequences that make you feel like a protagonist in some lost giallo film.

The combat is also quite good as well, rewarding accuracy and conservation of ammo. There's sort of a "health" system with knives that you carry that you can use to fend off zombies that reach you.

My only real criticism is that the jump scares were laid on a bit thick early in the game, but as the game goes on they become more infrequent and more effective.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

This is quite twisted and f'd up looking.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Quote from: Gusington on September 17, 2022, 10:00:49 PM
This is quite twisted and f'd up looking.

I had you in mind when I posted it.  I would actually compare it to a low poly version of Resident Evil Village.  Nice emphasis on combat, managing your bullets, and some nice spooks.  Also good variety of enemy types with different zombies, cultists, and creatures of varying speeds.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

^When I checked it out on Steam it was the first thing that appeared in my queue tonight. After that was a Vietnamese game called 'The Death' [Than Trung]and another one called Metal Hellslinger. Both look insane, either over the top like Hellslinger or subtle like Buy the Death. Check them out you'll probably dig both! And of course 'Inside the Backrooms' which is totally f'd.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd