Upcoming 'Dune' RPG (Modiphius)

Started by Nefaro, August 31, 2018, 12:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

I checked out the KS for the new Fading Suns edition.  Was quickly fenced by their switch to a d20 system, and the high price of the printed books which had been divided up into multiple books with rather small page counts.   :-\

Maybe I'll give it another consideration if it hits retail.  Like the setting, but not sure if I'd like what they did with the new edition.

Tpek

There's a KS for a new edition of FS???

Also, they made a D20 version of Fading Suns many years ago (based on D&D 3e) which I avoided due to a rather dislike of the system.

Dammit Carl!

Kinda getting to the "screw the system, but steal the setting," frame of mind for Fading Suns.

Stars Without Number, the Cepheus system, or hell, pick any number of rpgs out there and then plunder away!

Nefaro

To be fair, I don't think it's derived directly from D&D d20 but I didn't investigate far enough to find out how much it differs. 

My biggest issues were with dividing up the rules into two or three ~110 page books, and the price of them as such.  >:(

Tpek

I just checked the Kickstarter page for the new Fading Suns edition.

Although the main campaign page is completely devoid of any description of the game or its mechanics, the updates do contain some info.
Among the info is an example of play:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ulissesspiele/fading-suns-pax-alexius/posts/2806574

It's most definitely not D&D based, that's for sure.
That said I'm not enthusiastic about the new system either.

Dammit Carl!

The Dune rpg is now on DriveThru and it's very, very nice indeed.  Can't wait to see how people take this and run with it.

Time to pull out the ol' Dune Encyclopedia, a notepad, and start a thinkin'.

Yskonyn

I don't get why the 2d20 system gets so much flak. I find it a cool and rather quickly playing system while also having enough crunch.

The Dune game is, like we are used to from Modi, a very beautifully styled product!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on April 12, 2021, 08:08:54 AM
I don't get why the 2d20 system gets so much flak. I find it a cool and rather quickly playing system while also having enough crunch.

The Dune game is, like we are used to from Modi, a very beautifully styled product!

2d20 is a great system. 

The complaints I've seen usually regard the layout of most of the titles using it.  Having relevant rules buried in a paragraph and/or on different pages can be a pain.  I tend to take notes on rules when I'm learning them which helps the learning process, especially in such situations.  However, you can miss some stuff during quick references of the books.

The other complaint I occasionally hear is about the Doom and Momentum GM and player pools.  I like this system because it gives the players more influence over how things can go but also provides the GM with a mechanic to build tension via increasing but yet unknown threats.  I just chalk the complaints up to the usual old-timers who never want to leave old-school mechanics, especially the OSR or 5e D&D types who refuse to expand into anything but D&D or it's many derivatives.

I'm just a bit saddened that the 2d20 system has been dumbed down so much in the last few releases.  There was definitely room for clean-up on the early versions, but so much has changed too.  The more recent change of switching ability scores to more interpretive touchy-feely motivations sounds like a pain in the ass.  There's enough possible overlap that I could imagine some disagreements happening, or strange calls required which aren't a clear choice.  The older physical and mental abilities, coupled with the skills, was just fine and more easily defined.  If a master skill list can be kept to an easily manageable amount then it works just fine.

Also a bit disappointed that the Lifepath style system from the early 2d20 titles have slowly faded away.  The early lines had one of the best lifepath character creation systems out there, possibly THE best.   Backstory and past events rolled up, and integrated with, the stat building.  Provided very interesting narratives in Mutant Chronicles 3e and Infinity.  Then, in Conan 2d20, some of the detail was dropped but it still had a bit.  After that, it's nearly all been removed, sadly.

Still like the system, but they've neutered some of the great parts as time has gone on.